Subic/Philippine wrecks at risk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chewie:
along with the occupants! hehehehe DOWN WITH THE GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
woo hoo! another people power! very exciting... vote for dennis if you can

Mike Veitch:
woo hoo! another people power! very exciting... vote for dennis if you can
nah. m sick & tired of those things. the pres gets changed & then what? same bureaucratic BS. same system. just changed faces. it won't solve anything but only complicates the matter. the blaming game comes around yet again for the nth time. the exchange of tirades & what not for a while in the media. the story will be "closely" watched by the public only to be dropped due to "no compelling evidence" a convenient excuse. the people will forget what has happened & will go about their usual lives. sorry for the blah, blah, just expressing my cynical views. hehehe :D :eyebrow:

Okey I know you guys know people who know people.... Ya know Media & showbiz types ect... why not give them a ring.. shoot on down there and use those nice cameras and shoot some proof/evidence before it get's buried and hidden and the "Salvagers" get away with it

introduce d diveshop that offer a reasonable price for diving, more divers go ,then d subic
area will b preserve! e mail d important for attracting diving to subic b coz of d wreck to
SBMA business development administrator HERMENEGILDO J. ATIENZA d 3rd
E Mail: hjatienza@sbma.com , 09178805247, he is a reasonable man s related to Mla mayor.

I have receive news that this issue has been cleared already and that subic has released a statement that they will no longer allow the salvaging of any wrecks in the area.

Axua:
I have receive news that this issue has been cleared already and that subic has released a statement that they will no longer allow the salvaging of any wrecks in the area.

that's a relief :coffee:

It is sad, but unfortunatelly true, the wrecks in Subic Bay have become the target of some unscrupulous people who are just out for a quick buck, the intended salvage for scrap metal!! Outrageous. The recent salvaging of a barge from Triboa Bay was appaling, someone deemed it a hazard to navigation, when in reality it had been high and dry since before the US bases occupation. The PCSSD commisisoner nailed it with her statement. How can the precense of these UW heritage sites be considered hazards to navigation, it's an appaling thought. Post WWII the US Navy managed to move ships in and out of the port of Olongapo with the greatest of ease, even the largest Aircaraft Carriers. For the interest of all concerned citizens, dive operators, tourism businesses, fisherfolk and the like, this must be stopped. Who are these people who think they "Are Above the Law"

I did a search about shipwreck salvaging in the Philippines tonight and I am a bit disturb that the story mentioned by yvette is not only true in Subic but apparently it is a business that is occuring in other parts of the country

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=10429537018
http://news.inq7.net/regions/index.php?index=1&story_id=69970
http://www.bulatlat.com/news/4-37/4-37-navy.html

and this has been happening as early as last year

http://subicbaynews.blogspot.com/2005/08/man-drowns-as-subic-authorities-chase.html

This is sad and a bit disturbing. Many people probably don't understand or appreciate a bit the historical and biological importance of these wrecks because they are in a place that very few are privelege to see, I trully hope that something can be done...

I believe that for people to truly appreciate these wrecks they should see it first hand. We have a lot of photographers here in the thread, I would like to invite you and everyone else to go and see these magnificent view underwater. I hope that even in a small forum like these, the wrecks will have a voice that will get people to appreciate them. I know an operator there who will be willing to give a good deal to a group. I can contact them for you and arrange for a dive. You don't have to be a technical diver to dive there, many wrecks are at recreational depths...

These wrecks are not only part of our history but these are sacred graves of brave men who formed part of what we have today.

I am glad they are stopping this. As a teenager in 1967-1969 I dove around the PI and enjoyed the wrecks. Have any of you guys dove around Cavite around the old Sangley Point area? I found a lot of wreckage around there as well as wreckage that I believe dated from the Spanish American war. I found a lot of glassware from one wreck with a lot of Havana markings, as well as US relics such as a crushed canteen with a 1895 date on it. I have always wanted to learn the history of these wrecks. I hope no one salvaged them.

Back
Top Bottom