Subic/Philippine wrecks at risk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bttmdwllr

Contributor
Reaction score
FYI please forward to your friends , congressmen , senators. Dive instructors and dive pros, please start a petition going to save our wrecks not only for ourselves but for the fishermen that have been using them as fish nurseries.

September 21, 2006

Dear Senator Villar,

I received a distressing phone call from one of the dive operators in Subic Bay in Olongapo 2 days ago on September 19. Last August several barges/shipwrecks were taken from the waters of Subic under the guise that these were “hazards to navigation”. We both know that the waters of the bay hosted the comings and goings of biggest battleships, submarines and even aircraft carriers of the US Navy safely. That these wrecks can be deemed “hazards to navigation” is a brazen lie and how they can be considered as such is beyond my wildest imagination.

Now I’m told that another operation that will remove even more of these underwater treasures will soon commence. It even includes the “El Capitan” a relic from the Spanish American war period known to many historians as well as divers frequenting the area.

Subic is one of our premier dive/tourism destinations because of the existence of these monuments from the past. That certain companies and people can remove this to be sold only as Scrap Iron is outrageous.

This problem of our shipwrecks being salvaged and being sold for scrap is not limited to Subic Bay. It is nation wide. I’m not sure who should address this pressing problem, but please relay the following facts to them:

1. Shipwrecks are not only tourism destinations. More importantly, they act as artificial Marine Reserves. Fishes use it as spawning and grow out areas. That artificial underwater community also draws in jacks, tanguige and other bigger food fishes looking for a quick meal.
Marginal fishermen have known this since time immemorial which is why they are usually the ones who know where these wrecks are. A shipwreck that was partially salvaged in McArthur, Leyte until Atty Tony Oposa, Jr. and I intervened, for example, was used by approximately One Thousand families in 10 barangays scattered along the coast of San Pedro Bay as their fishing grounds.

Considering the state of our coral reefs (only 3% left in excellent condition) and how over fished our seas are, these wrecks are a vital resource in providing the nutritional needs of the families of our marginal fishing folks.

2. Other nations such as the USA, Canada the Maldives and even China, have been sinking old ships to act as both tourist attractions and marine reserves. We have no business pulling what we already have out of the water. If they are indeed truly a “hazard to navigation” then whoever is doing the pulling can move it into a place where it can continue to act as a marine reserve and tourism attraction.

3. The PCG guidelines on salvaging are actually quite clear ( I have a copy). ONLY the Phil Coast Guard Headquarters here in Manila can issue a permit to salvage, and even then they can only issue a permit if the wreck is a hazard to navigation. Which is why it is almost impossible to get a permit from them. This was made clear to me by PCG Commander Mel Velasco (since retired), the Atty. who was in charge of issuing the permits.

What is happening is Coast Guard Detachments have been issuing “Emergency Permits to Salvage” which they are legally allowed to do, but they have been abusing the “hazard to navigation” and “emergency” clause. Only recent shipwrecks-one that went down in a typhoon while tied along the pier for example, which are blocking a port, berth or vital sea lane can be considered as such But they have been issuing licenses indiscriminately-even to wrecks of World War II vintage and wrecks that are too deep to be even considered a hazard. In other words the permits these detachments have been issuing are illegal permits.

4. Both the US and Japanese Embassies have been informed of what is going on and they are very upset and have asked for the names of the persons and entities involved. Needless to say these ships, whether in Subic Bay or elsewhere are considered War Graves by both countries.

Please do whatever you can to bring this matter to the attention of the President, Secretary Durano, Sec. Panaganiban ( bec. this affects his constituency, the marginal fishermen) and also Sec Reyes and Sec Mendoza (of DOTC- because the Phil Cost Guard falls under his office) so that once and for all, this can be made clear to all entities wanting to cash in on these wrecks that what they are doing is ILLEGAL. I also hope that administrative as well as punitive sanctions can be applied to those Coast Guard officers who have been issuing these illegal permits.

Sir, I know that there is a bill concerning shipwreck salvaging filed by your wife Cynthia that is pending. However, if my memory serves me correctly, this deals with salvaging for Treasure and not scrap iron. May I ask that the bill include a provision that

1: Will once and for all ban the salvaging of wrecks that are not blocking a sea lane, port or berth and to specify harsh jail as well as monetary penalties for those who violate this.

2. To recognize these wrecks for the value that they give to our depleted marine resources as artificial reefs used as fishing grounds by marginal fishermen and possible tourism destinations.

Hoping that immediate action will be taken regarding this, I remain

Yours truly,

Yvette Lee

Commissioner/DOT-Philippine Commission on Sport Scuba Diving
0917-827-0217

Nooo, Not the El Capitan!!

Well written Yvette, pls advise on how some of us overseas fans of subic wreck diving can help out.

What actually try to do.....goodness!!!!!

clgsamson:
Hmmmmm...maybe they will replace them with bigger wrecks, i.e. an aircraft carrier, a WWII battleship, a submarine blah blah j/k
You must be....joking:popcorn:

I think the batasan building and malacanang structure will make for a good underwater archaelogical site :) I vote for this to be sunk in subic as a replacement.

Axua:
I think the batasan building and malacanang structure will make for a good underwater archaelogical site :) I vote for this to be sunk in subic as a replacement.
along with the occupants! hehehehe DOWN WITH THE GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom