Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

As a divemaster working in and around Subic Bay in the late 80's early 90's, I had the pleasure of diving all but one wreck (Oryoku Maru). Now that the military is long gone and the restrictions lifted, I am wondering what the overall diving conditions are now. I'll be heading that way in Feb.

Since I used to live on Baloy Beach and ran my boats out from there, I actually watched things change over the years; back then it was very common for dynamite fishermen to ruin large portions of the reef.

Because it has been a very long time since I dove anywhere in Subic Bay, what's the diving like now, and who are the respectible dive operators working the area?

Also, just curious if White Rock retained its charm and would be the best place to stay.

Hi 99 bottles,

I think you might get a bit of a shock going back to Baloy! The first time I went there was in 2003, and when I went back in 2009 I couldn't believe how much had changed. Let's just say there's lot's of places there now that are not catering to the divers, more towards the night-time activities.

Having said that, there is definitely some great diving and I'm pretty sure that there is now limited dynamiting as compared to when you were there - this applies to most places with dive communities in the Phils.

Get in touch with DevonDiver on this board, and he (Andy) will help you out I'm sure.

Enjoy,

Matt.

Thanks Matt,

Planning to visit Siquijor, Dumaguete, Panglao, and possibly Subic in Feb. While I know the other areas are good diving, thought I would inquire about Subic to really determine if going back there is worth it. May just opt for a Puerto Galera stop instead. (Flying in and out of Manilla) Although Malapascua is a serious consideration as well. Working the logistics now...

Mike

Hi Mike,

The wrecks are still there in Subic...and doing well. You might notice a big difference, depending on whether your memories of diving the Bay end before, or after, the Pinatubo eruption. I'm told that the Bay suffered a lot with ash fall at that time... with several feet of silt deposited on top of the reefs/wrecks. The Olongapo river still brings volcanic sediment/silt down from the mountains, especially in rainy season.

The Oryuko and Seian Maru wrecks are now, pretty much, off-limits for divers - due to their proximity to the docks - especially when U.S. Navy vessels are in port and impose an exclusion zone.

The USS New York still stands proud - a sturdy lady!

The (primarily dives) Landing Ship Tank is collapsing at the stern...many decks pan-caked.. but is still upright and solid for the aft 2/3rd. The little Landing Craft Tank (LCT Mk6/LCU) and Japanese Patrol Boat/Tug remain intact and strong. Barges... remains the same... zero problems with silt around Grande/Fort Wint or the mouth of the Bay. El Capitan (USS Majaba) remains defiantly intact, despite her shallow depth.

San Quentin is still pretty - although some illegal metal salvage took place in recent years and the Giant Clams have all been poached now.

F4 Phantom, Sakura Maru.. and other deeper wrecks still good too. Most of the wrecks up near Subic Town Proper are either salvaged away or buried. I heard there are wrecks around the north-west of the Bay, but these are off-limits due to proximity to the Hanjin Shipyard (have been for years).

Coral is still recovering after Pinatubo - which I am told was catastrophic for the reefs. Hard to say it's flourishing though - as dynamite fishing is a prevalent in Subic as it is elsewhere in S.E. Asia (you'd think being a working port... with a Harbor Patrol on-site.... would prevent that.... but "hey ho"...).

There's been some work on developing artificial reefs - expect some significant projects developing around Baloy/Barretto in the next couple of years. The guys at Arizona Dive Center put a small artificial reef onto their beach... and it exploded with life... loads of macro/muck critters...frogfish, coconut octopus, flamboyant cuttlefish, seahorses, pipefish and even a few nocturnal Bamboo Sharks (is a great night dive...and normally crystal viz).

Baloy and Barretto are still the primary areas for foreign (non-Korean) visitors. Baloy is still sleepy (no girl-bars) and has some nice resorts (Blue Rock and Johans for divers). Barretto is the 'bar strip'... but that's on the highway, not the beach. Not noisy or 'in-your-face' like Boracay has become. Best resort/dive center in Barretto area is Arizona Dive Center.

SBMA/SBFZ (IMHO) fails to hit the mark for foreign visitors. It's dull and over-priced. Good for shopping (nice new mall), but not for staying in. Boardwalk Dive Center operates inside SBMA... I often use them for technical diving trips.

Those are the only 4 dive centers I use in Subic..

For more info onSubic, see my articles: Subic Bay Wreck Dive Sites / Subic Bay History / Subic Bay Marine Life / Subic Bay Travel

Hi Andy,

How deep is the F4 Phantom?

Hi Andy,

How deep is the F4 Phantom?

F4 Phantom:
45m
\

Thanks Kev

Can anyone confirm whether the New York is diveable at the moment... I visited Subic in March and it was closed.. Would still like to do this dive, and will be back in the Philippines in February... Thanks

Thank-you DevonDiver for all the updated info.

I have logged roughly 250 Dives just in Subic bay, and will say to the east of Grande Island was some of my Favorite diving at the time, given the hard slope and cavern/caves... This was my secret Lobster area! Just East of Baloy beach was also some of my favorite Night time beach entry muck diving.

I really appreciate your updates and will visit the Arizona Dive Center.

Just curious since you frequent the general area; Have you ever dove any areas around Candeleria? Used to see many pelagic fish frequent the Hermana Islands? If I am not mistaken there was also a wreck there at about 100'. (Fortunately the dynamite fishing did not ruin the deeper reefs in that area) And if memory serves me right, that area also had a wall teaming with shells. There was at the time a retired Navy Chief who set up a very small facility on the beach in Candeleria and I think he was calling himself B & D divers... Worth going back to as well?

Thanks again for all the info,

Mike

Can anyone confirm whether the New York is diveable at the moment... I visited Subic in March and it was closed.. Would still like to do this dive, and will be back in the Philippines in February... Thanks

You lucked out with timing. The USS NY has been consistently open for diving for a few years now. It used to be regularly closed (4+ years ago) when the US Navy visited, but that restriction/cordon was lifted.

The wreck was closed off twice by the Harbor Authority for short periods in the last 2 years: In July 2011, due to a fatal diving accident and in Mar/Apr 2012 due to reports of illegal metal salvage... when the National Museum of the Philippines were conducting an impact survey (they are responsible for cultural heritage preservation of wrecks 100+ years old).

---------- Post added December 6th, 2012 at 11:33 AM ----------

Have you ever dove any areas around Candeleria? Used to see many pelagic fish frequent the Hermana Islands? If I am not mistaken there was also a wreck there at about 100'. (Fortunately the dynamite fishing did not ruin the deeper reefs in that area) And if memory serves me right, that area also had a wall teaming with shells. There was at the time a retired Navy Chief who set up a very small facility on the beach in Candeleria and I think he was calling himself B & D divers... Worth going back to as well?

Hi Mike... I'm sad to say that in 5+ years, I've never had chance to get up to Candeleria - pretty much all of my Subic diving is on the wrecks, teaching on the known ones and/or sniffing around the deep for less frequented metalwork. I should remember to look at the fish-life sometimes :wink:

The guys at Arizona DC were talking about running longer trips up the coast and/or doing some more sites out of the Bay. Their second boat is a decent banka with BBQ and 'head', so can run extended trips. Otherwise, all the operators in the Bay use light speedboats or small banka... which makes trips further out impractical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom