Stupid question - why can’t I vacuum seal my PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
So, I have a PLB and was looking at cases and they’re $120 on Amazon. I don’t dive below 120’, so I was wondering why I can’t just vacuum seal it (like in a sous vide bag) and put it in my pocket, then if I even need it just cut the bag open and use it? Seems a lot less expensive than spending $120.

I’m sure there’s a reason this is a dumb idea, I just don’t know why.

So, I have a PLB and was looking at cases and they’re $120 on Amazon. I don’t dive below 120’, so I was wondering why I can’t just vacuum seal it (like in a sous vide bag) and put it in my pocket, then if I even need it just cut the bag open and use it? Seems a lot less expensive than spending $120.

I’m sure there’s a reason this is a dumb idea, I just don’t know why.
Try Custom Divers Ltd

That is the case on Amazon

Add a small mirror to the canister (and a PLB) and you’re set

Dry Fob also make a large version of their car key container for PLBs @Jaan

Hmmm... If you filled the bag with mineral oil then used the vacuum machine to make sure no air bubbles were left in the PLB and sealed it up it'd probably work.

Hmmm... If you filled the bag with mineral oil then used the vacuum machine to make sure no air bubbles were left in the PLB and sealed it up it'd probably work.
Or take it apart and fill the air space(s) with silicone etc. There's a pretty good breakdown here: Waterproofing your Electronics Project

No, any fluid will transmit the pressure without diminishing it.

No, any fluid will transmit the pressure without diminishing it.
Correct, the increased atmospheric pressure would still be transmitted to all the individual components, BUT would be equalized throughout the entire volume of the device as long as all gas was replaced with liquid or solid material. Versus if you just wrapped a vessel with a flexible membrane that trapped interior gas, the compression of that gas at depth would result in inward force around the perimeter, "crushing" the contents.

Essentially, the same effect as how your hand doesn't "feel" any squeeze when exposed to pressure outside your drysuit, since there aren't any gas pockets inside your hand - your skin doesn't squeeze your bones, but with your drysuit if you don't add gas during a descent, your suit vacuum packs your exterior as the interior trapped gas compresses with depth.

I'm 99% certain that if you could replace ALL gas within a electronic device with an intert liquid or gas, and then prevent contact with water, you could take it with you on any reasonable depth and it would still function upon return to the surface. You'd also be voiding the warranty, and probably manage to mess it up with all that silicone or mineral oil. Incidently, if I were to try something like this, I would put the device in a pressure pot, flood it with the oil, and then pull a vacuum to get all the trapped air out of the components and traces. But I wouldn't, juice isn't worth the squeeze as they say.

Also, I'd be concerned that the silicon or oil would interfere with the RF capabilities of the device, similar to how phones and GPS don't work underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom