Stupid Newbie Question Part IV-Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyRubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, by now most of you know I am a new diver with lots of questions. Here is the latest. As always, I very much appreciate your help!

With about 80 dives under my belt, my 'awareness' has moved to gear configuration. Having done some research, I like the Hogarthian setup. In fact, I long ago moved to the bungeed octu setup. I'm no way ready to go full DIR but I like alot of what they teach and as I change gear (slowly over time!!), I want to keep those ideas in mind.

Which brings me to my question. I'm picking up my new drysuit this Friday. It got me thinking about hoses. Especially Miflex hoses!!! But I am too new to understand all the nuances of the many hoses involved in gear setup.

PLUS, the typical advice seems a bit off for me because I am a shorty - 5'2. I want to hear from other shorties (especially women cuz we have our own 'equipment' issues) but anyone 5'4 and under will understand what I mean.

For you shorties (or those of you who dive with shorties), what length hoses are you using for the following things? If you have a reason for choosing that length, please share it.

1. SPG
2. Primary Regulator Hose
3. Octu
4. BC
5. Drysuit

I am particulary torn on what to do about the octu vs primary hose lengths. I have the typical long hose octu setup that is draped under my arm and bungeed at my neck but had an OOA diver who grabbed my primary instead of the octu so I am aware of how unnerving a typical 'short recreational diver primary hose' can be when you got someone hanging off your back breathing from your primary.

Of course the reverse will happen when I swap to a long primary and a shorter octu ... the next OOA diver will grab the octu and we'll be kissing cousins while handling the OOA... but the thought of two long hoses to clip off is not appealing. So I am curious what your experiences in emergency situations have been with the various octu/primary setups.

Your input is greatly appreciated!! Thank you for helping a shorty out!

(PS to the Mods . . . if I am in the wrong forum, move me! Thanks!)

Well, regardless on what type of equipment configuration you ultimately chose, the longer hose is ALWAYS the one donated.

I personally suggest a long hose primary and a bungeed backup. Donating your primary means that the oog diver gets a working reg immediately, and the backup is in the same place every time. The "octo" configuration frequently results in a lousy reg thats hard to find getting bashed about on the coral or bottom.

The BC hose should only be as long as it needs to be (pretty short, really), no sense in having extra. Same with the drysuit hose, routed under the left shoulder so it doesn't accidentally trap the long hose. SPG is on the left as well, and a short hose (once again, no longer than it needs to be) is clipped off and out of the way. For these lengths, you might need to experiment a bit, and you might end up with custom hoses if you feel the need.

Hey Betty, as a female shorty, I may be able to provide some feedback that's of use to you :D

I dive a full Hog set-up.

My primary hose is 7', tucked under my can light to take up the excess. Prior to getting a can light, I tucked the excess under the knife sheath and never had any issues with the length.

My (bungeed) back-up is 22". For single tank diving, it is actually a little long for me and the loop is a little bigger than I like. With my doubles, it's not an issue....eventually, I'll get a shorter hose for my singles rig.

My SPG is on a 24" HP hose....it's not so long that it makes a large loop for things to get caught in, and not so short that it's uncomfortable to unclip and check as needed.

My wing inflator is short, but I can't remember how short. It's long enough that if I needed to use it for drysuit inflation (for whatever reason), I could. Can't remember the length though....can get back to you if you're interested.

My drysuit infator, on the other hand, is too long. When routed under my left arm, to my chest, it makes a sizeable loop. This is something that I want to replace sooner rather than later. I think it's ~34" in length or something like that.

There are really no "one size fits all" answers for you. Basically, you need something that works for you....don't don't want something that's so short that it's uncomfortable to dive....but you don't want something that's so long that it can't be routed nicely to avoid big loops.

FWIW, I can't find a single down side to diving a long hose and bungeed back-up (though we've all seen the debate before). If you decide that you like that set-up, great! If not, find something that works for you AND your buddies.

You can have hoses made to exactly the length that you want (at least regulator and SPG hoses), I've had it done at a shop that repaired hydraulics in a pinch. Getting exactly the right fit for your BC or BP/W and your Dry Suit can be more of a challenge.

Last edited:
Well, regardless on what type of equipment configuration you ultimately chose, the longer hose is ALWAYS the one donated.

Yes, I know . . . except when it is snatched versus donated! :D

For the BC and drysuit hoses I think it's worth it to bring your gear to a shop and test/try out to get the correct length.

Unless you go custom length, for the long hose you have 2 choices; 5' or 7'. It just depends on how you want to route the long hose.

Henrik

My (bungeed) back-up is 22". For single tank diving, it is actually a little long for me and the loop is a little bigger than I like. With my doubles, it's not an issue....eventually, I'll get a shorter hose for my singles rig.

If you don't mind my asking, about how much shorter would you consider just right for your bungied back-up hose, if you were to get one specifically for singles?
Thanks,
B.

Basically, you need something that works for you....don't don't want something that's so short that it's uncomfortable to dive....but you don't want something that's so long that it can't be routed nicely to avoid big loops.

It took me several tries with different hose lengths for the bungeed backup....when I followed one of the training agencies' backup hose length recommendations (22"), it was too short with a single set up and pulled uncomfortably when I turned my head to the left. The 7' long hose, on the other hand was never a problem, single or doubles, even when I didn't have a can light and used a knife sheath to tuck the hose under.

If you don't mind my asking, about how much shorter would you consider just right for your bungied back-up hose, if you were to get one specifically for singles?
Thanks,
B.

I think 20" would be about ideal for me. I'd have to try it out though. I know some people have had issues with not being able to turn their heads to the left with a shorter hose....I don't suspect I'd have that issue, but I'd want to try it out.

I don't think I have any pics of me with the 22" hose, but the loop is a bit large. I haven't had any issues with it thus far (in terms of getting caught on anything)....I won't bother changing it until I have a compelling reason to do so (i.e. it proves to be unsafe because it's getting caught on stuff, the hose wears out, etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom