Stupid idea??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's also fairly common among instructors, a sizable minority, that reverse the hose mounting on the octopus second stage so that it's easier/faster to donate(IE: they flip it upside down compared to the standard setup, meaning it naturally goes right way up when donating), but it makes it a bit trickier to use your own octopus as a backup, as you're then in the position where you need to flip it for yourself. The hose is still on the right side.

Or just avoid all these problems and go with a longhose/bungeed backup?

I agree that it presents more pros than cons, but if someone can't handle donating an octopus properly, I can envision all manner of problems they can have with a longhose/bungee setup, such as hose routing (especially with a traditional BCD) or putting the necklace on after routing the longhose.

There are no idiot-proof solutions. It's better just to train people how not to be an idiot ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There are no idiot-proof solutions. It's better just to train people how not to be an idiot ...... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I did think pretty much that myself. But then I thought "ya know what if every person with a GOOD idea keeps their mouth shut?"
I figure there isn't any harm asking.

I did think pretty much that myself. But then I thought "ya know what if every person with a GOOD idea keeps their mouth shut?"
I figure there isn't any harm asking.

Absolutely ... every once in a while you'll get a "why didn't I think of that?" response ... :wink:

On a serious note ... it's very common, due to hose routing, for someone to hand off an octopus upside down. Therefore it's important to not only train the diver how to hand it off properly, but also to train all divers to always look before taking it.

There are regulators out there specifically designed to address this issue ... with an exhaust port coming out the end of the reg rather than the bottom. I've yet to find one that breathes reasonably, with the exception of the Poseidon ... which is expensive and not very commonly found in the USA.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Absolutely ... every once in a while you'll get a "why didn't I think of that?" response ... :wink:
On a serious note ... it's very common, due to hose routing, for someone to hand off an octopus upside down. Therefore it's important to not only train the diver how to hand it off properly, but also to train all divers to always look before taking it.

There are regulators out there specifically designed to address this issue ... with an exhaust port coming out the end of the reg rather than the bottom. I've yet to find one that breathes reasonably, with the exception of the Poseidon ... which is expensive and not very commonly found in the USA.

That's solving a skills problem with equipment. If you use the long hose, you just grab the primary regulator by the hose/swivel, extend your hand up over your head, out towards the diver and twist your wrist while extending out and you'll hand the other diver the known working regulator in the correct orientation every single time. Your hand won't be covering the second stage at all and they can grab it easily.

[video=youtube;8sqHa1kLLks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sqHa1kLLks[/video]

And yes, I'm sure you know this and you probably even practice this. It's so simple and elegant and yet still not taught my the mainstream agencies to OW divers. There are millions of divers out there that if they saw this would probably say "why didn't I think of that?".

When I need air, I don't get picky.

I always found it a little funny when people complain "It breathes wet upside-down." If I'm out of air, I'm not about to be fussy about whether a little water comes along with it. :cool:

flots.

There are no idiot-proof solutions. It's better just to train people how not to be an idiot ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have found that with an idiot-proof solution, rather than solve the initial problem for all time, you just breed a more determined idiot.

Bob
----------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

This is one of the reasons I like the "donate the primary" approach. Doing that, it's almost impossible to donate the regulator upside-down, and if you are using a bungied backup, it is impossible to put that in your mouth upside down.

Rather than add another layer of signaling to try to prevent human error, why not utilize a system where the problem you are trying to prevent is all but impossible?

We are taught, under SSI standards, to donate the primary 2nd stage reg, and then the donor continues breathing with his octo (the donor is not in emergency and has time to pick the octo, no matter which octo holder he has). With this, a yellow octo with yellow and longer hose seems to be unuseful. The primary 2nd should then have a longer hose, and the "octo" should have a shorter hose. In this scenario, the "octo" with a short hose near the donor mouth with a rubber necklace seems to be the correct layout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom