Stupid idea??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks. In a couple of threads Ive seen learner divers and inexperienced divers trying to hand their octi over upside down.
So why not a red arrow painted on the front of the octi to show which way needs to be up?
I figure if theres a potential for a muck up why not fix it before its a problem.

I don't think it's a stupid idea, but I'm not sure it would fix the problem either.If the octo is a standard second-stage, it gets handed over with the exhaust ports at the bottom. If it's one of those horrible flat ones, it gets handed over with the yellow face upwards. Anyone who's had halfway competent instruction should already have practised that and been shown how to hold the hose to ensure that the octo is the right way up, and been corrected if they handed the octo over upside-down, so they should know how to hand off.I'd suspect that, if air-sharing is panic-inducing enough that the donating diver doesn't notice which way up the reg is, no amount of marking it is going to make a difference... The answer lies on proper training, and in divers continuing to practise basic skills after certification. Equipment is not a substitute for skill, and it takes no effort whatsoever to do an air-share, or a mask remove/replace, or whatever else during a safety stop.

This is one of the reasons I like the "donate the primary" approach. Doing that, it's almost impossible to donate the regulator upside-down, and if you are using a bungied backup, it is impossible to put that in your mouth upside down.

Rather than add another layer of signaling to try to prevent human error, why not utilize a system where the problem you are trying to prevent is all but impossible?

I never tried it in the water but I did try it on land and a regulator will flow upside down. I would assume once you exhale and get a load of bubbles in your face you will realize it is upside down.

... last thing we need is more gimmicks to compensate for inadequate training and practice ... donating an octopus properly just isn't that difficult.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

From what I have seen I think the CMAS/FFESSM? version of routing the octopus over the left shoulder is the best- unfortunately not the norm, which creates potential issues.

There are pros and cons to all of the possible configurations.

The advantage to routing the octopus on the right is that in the event of a lost reg you can reach back, grab a hose, and regardless of which hose you grab there will be something to breathe from on the end of it. Routing the octo on the left side removes this possibility, although it does make it more convenient to donate the reg in the proper orientation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom