Stupid focus light question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Tried this in another location but figured this is a better forum for it.

I just purchased a new housing for my D7000 and will be running dual S&S YS-D1 strobes on a pair of 5"+8" arms.

My question is with a focus light, which is something I had not really planned on. To most folks that run dual strobes also use a focus light? If so what is the recommended way to connect them? And last but not least, what's a good option for a combination focus/video light depending on my mood during a dive?

Thanks,
-E

Not only am I using a focus light with my Canon T2i and dual YS-110a strobes, but I discovered when I started doing wide-angle stuff that the 150 lumen Big Blue that I've been using is not enough light for this setup ... I need something that's much brighter ... probably at least 500 lumens. But I should qualify that by saying that I typically dive in cold, dark water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have a D700 with two Ikelite DS160 strobes. Even though the camera is incredible in low light I had trouble sometimes getting it to focus in low vis. My old focus light wasn't bright enough so I bought a Sola 600 focus light. I haven't had a focus issue since.

Thanks guys, how do you attach the focus lights (any pics of your rig?) Also, can your focus light pull double duty if you decide to shot video mid dive?

---------- Post added ----------

I might have just answered 1 of my questions. Just realized the Sola 1200 has both a red focus light (226 Lumen) and 1200 Lumen white flood. Which I'm assuming would fit the bill well for combo focus/video. I didn't realize it did both.

So now I think my only real question is how to best attach to a housing with dual strobes?

There are many ways to attach a focus light depending on the housing. As you have not said what UW housing you have.....

Most dealers will set you up with what you need for mounting. Mounting hardware may even be included! Call you favorite dealer and ask.

Well I don't have the housing in hand yet, still waiting for it to show but I bought the NA-D7000v from Nauticam. I don't think it has a hot shoe adapter, just the two optical bulkheads.

Nauticam International Ltd.

Maybe I'll try downloading the manual...breaks my heart to admit that.

Good thread. I just bought a sola 800, and Im wondering if it's enough to shoot video with canon 5d mark 2?

I use the SOLA 1200 photo light. I attach it as a cold shoe on top with 2 clamps and a small arm. Great for macro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom