Stupid Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

android

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I'm travelling to a far away country and decide that fins are too big and bulky to take with me. I arrange to rent wetsuit, weight and fins from operator who says, "sure, we got everything you need."

Wetsuit is OK, but fins available are only L, not XL. Straps are crappy and foot box is kinda crushed. What do you expect for rental gear? Tried them on dry and they fit OK, not great.

So we're shore diving from a limestone point. Go in and the surfs a little rough. Fins which were a little difficult to get on dry, are now impossible for me to get on while being bashed by small to medium waves. Buddy realizes problem, grabs fins and shoves them onto my feet. We work our way into deep water and I get them adjusted.

We repeat the scenario on exit since the suction is now making the damn things extremely difficult to pull off as well.

Nothing life threatening, but it just goes to show that even the simpliest part of your gear can make life rough when it's screwed up and the waves start kicking.

android:
Nothing life threatening, but it just goes to show that even the simpliest part of your gear can make life rough when it's screwed up and the waves start kicking.
Very good point.

Chuck Tribolet:
Silicone spray in the foot pockets would solve the problem.

Also, when putting on a too-small fin: slice the side of the foot part of the fin with your knife to allow for the size of your foot; it also reduces suction (allows air into the vaccuum) when removing. You can always buy the fins when you get back to the shop (and throw them away when walking to your car.) :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom