Student rescued at Whidbey Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, but a diver having a heart attack while in scubagear still standing on the beach dont mean its a dive accident either - although the media would portray it as such.

My dive safety starts with getting my gear serviced as needed and all ready, continuing with me boarding the boat with all of it without injury, getting to the site, gearing up, exiting the boat, descending, etc. Dive related injuries can happen anywhere, and they're all related - but if I'm in the water with gear, yeah it's diving whether I've actually sank yet or not.

Students are more at risk for any of this I think.

... so if you're in a dive shop trying on a BCD and suffer a heart attack, is that a diving accident?

Semantics aside, it's helpful to understand why accidents happen. If they're health-related ... or due to engaging in an activity you're not physically fit enough to do without injury ... then calling it a diving accident doesn't really identify why the accident happened. And without that understanding, any discussion about the accident becomes rather morbid and pointless ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Looks like the same as the skydivers (I'm one) that get hurt/killed in a aircraft accident.... Their are always jumpers getting mad that they call it a skydiving accident ... The fact is the person was wearing a tank and was in the water.. That's a diver and it's a diving accident... :wink:

jim....

Do we know if it was the instructor, or a student who pulled her to shore? I didnt ask since I didnt wanna hassle the guy for information during such a hectic and trying event. Although I thought he did a great job composing himself after getting out of the water

My name is John and I was Deb's diving buddy at the time. I did everything I could to keep her calm and got her relaxed ( as best as I could ) kept telling her it was alright. I swam my heart out trying to tow her to shore, but could only make moderate gains while cramping up every so often. Thank God for our instructor Gene who came to help me as he grabbed the top of the tank while I went around and pushed. My first dive and we never even made it under the water. Deb is in Harborview (Seattle) and she is in God's hands now, all we can do is send our prayers to her and her family for now....

I would like to thank all the people on shore who helped after I collapsed on the beach.

JOHN.... Good on you for having a cool head on your FIRST dive.... Hope you stick with the sport because we need divers like you.... :wink:

jim...

... so if you're in a dive shop trying on a BCD and suffer a heart attack, is that a diving accident?

Semantics aside, it's helpful to understand why accidents happen. If they're health-related ... or due to engaging in an activity you're not physically fit enough to do without injury ... then calling it a diving accident doesn't really identify why the accident happened. And without that understanding, any discussion about the accident becomes rather morbid and pointless ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Well, it'd be dive related, huh? But geared up, in the waves or snorkeling on the water to the drop site - yeah, that's part of diving, and can be dangerous at times. I don't know why we got off on this debate? Anyone know how the accident happened, and how she came out?

I'm really glad to hear that there are updates to be given! Thanks for the update dadztoy, and please keep us posted. I was one of the GUE-Seattle team who responded and can speak for the group in saying we were glad to be able to help. Our thoughts and well wishes are with her and we hope to hear of her continued recovery in the days and weeks to come.

-Doug

I swam my heart out trying to tow her to shore~

I would like to thank all the people on shore who helped after I collapsed on the beach.
That is all anyone could ever ask of a person. Thank you for doing all you could. You are a hero in my book!

Goes for the rest of you who assisted too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom