Stuart's Cove Shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melissa-

I dove with Stuarts last year and will be going again in a couple of days..I am taking some students..finishing their OW as well as AOW and rembmer the looks on their faces when they dove in and had sharks swimming around them...I can understand the boring concept at times..esp as one who has dived with sharks previously in other locations...try diving with Sandtigers in NC...we also had a chance encounter with a Great White off of Morehead City as well..talk about a pucker factor of 10...LOL!!!

I would recommend to try it..its an opportunity and something new and different for ya...I think the price is only $110..so its not like an arm and a leg...as far as the sharks bumping ya..yes they have a tendency to do that and to fly over your head..but I have never seen anyone get bit except for the feeder at times..but then again he is wearing the chainmail suit...gotta love it..I do not think he needs any additional weight for the dives..LOL!!!

I hope I helped and as evverone else..just my 2cents worth

-B

I hope Melissa chooses to do it, it's a chance of a lifetime, and everybody here thinks so .

It's a breeze, trust me your not that tasty :crafty: I've been in Freeport and it was worth it, bought the video too. Besides, you won't be alone, in fact try not to be the one on the outside of the line :eyebrow: and that way the sharks will pick them off first (just kidding). I would say that you should be more afraid of the airplane ride than the shark dive.

well...i am doing it..it's paid for now and also got a personal videographer....so it's gonna be worth it...hubby is going with me..it was his idea...were both excited but just nervous because weve never done it before....what about the electical pulses we give off....i read something about that somewhere...??? anyway..yes it is a go...2 weeks away..yeah
melissa

Melissa go for it and have a ball. My definition of boring don't have to be yours. If you've never been to nassau the water is great this time of the year. I hope you and your Hubby the best.

Fred

KidK9:
I hope Melissa chooses to do it, it's a chance of a lifetime, and everybody here thinks so (except fgray).

In terms of getting to know you..I'll pass. Don't like getting to know people on a scubaboard that make opinions of things they haven't experienced. My safety and my dollars deserve better.
Take a look at the poll, link at post #2, in fact the majority of members are against it. Just thought you may like to know

But the people that are against it....have they done it...? probably not....you put yourself at risk anytime you dive, more so when you are at a feeding obviously..but youre not hurting them so why oppose it...unless your just too damn scared to try new things...I am just more adventurous then some and think it will be awesome...but still scared and nervous...It will be interesting...I will let you all know how i liked it..
melissa

I would probably bet that most people that are against them have viable reasons such as disrupting nature, having the sharks become dependent on humans, things of that "nature" (pun intended). Although I feel that that is a good argument or reason not to participate in such activity, we hinder or destroy some part of the system everytime someone builds a house, drives a car, explores space, hikes in the woods, and even steps off a diveboat platform to explore ANYTHING underwater. I don't think there is any scuba diver who can claim he hasn't inadvertantly hurt a part of the system by diving. Shoot, he/she prolly doesn't even know it happened most times than not. We should all be aware of the environment and do what we can to preserve it for our generations that succeed us, but I feel humans are inquisitory (sp?) by nature and we are going to look longer, push deeper, explore further. It's the nature of OUR beast.

So I say do it. Live life like it is meant to be lived. Besides, Mother Nature is a much greater force than humans, and she is constantly adapting.

It was ok ... I found it a little bit sad to see nature's predators circling around endlessly taking hand-outs. It got a bit boring kneeling on the bottom. For some reason all the sharks were female. Having said all that, it was fun to get so close to so many sharks and your friends and family will get a kick out of the video. While the sharks do come close to you, I never felt anxious; keep your hands in and they won't mistake you for a feeder. One of the sharks wrestled the sharp feeding prong away from the DM and went swimming fast through the center of our group, shaking it from side to side, which made things interesting for a few moments.... Be sure to save a little air for after the dive, so that you can scavenge for shark's teeth as souveniers.

The better bet: try to persuate the boat to do a dive where they are doing a "snorkeler feeding." We were doing a dive on two adjacent wrecks (Bahama Mama & C Ray ... excellent wrecks by the way) and they were feeding sharks up-current for a snorkeling crew. We got to hover in 30 feet of water and have sharks circling under, above, and through us continuously, without having to pay. It was a more enjoyable experience for me than the 'official' shark dive because it was more comfortable, seemed a bit more like a natural setting (let's be honest, it was still a shark feed), and we could swim down to explore the wrecks when we got bored. Some of those who were a bit more nervous simply sat on the bow of the C Ray, which gave them something to hold onto and a backdrop behind them.

Have fun!

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom