Stuart Beach fatal attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One news report that I saw while hunting for info mentioned that tigers were observed in the area among all the spinners around the time of the incident. I would almost always suspect the bull when a human is targeted, but I am leaning toward tiger based on the news reports. Doesn't really matter, I suppose.

Like mksmith713, I wonder what the circumstances were that led up to the attack. Did he fall off the board and get hit, was he paddling, or was the board attacked while he was coasting over the waves? He can't tell us now, and I suspect that if that information was available, it would have been in the story.

One report I saw said the wind had died down so he was dumped in the water. Then the lifeguard saw he seemed to be struggling so he took off for him. As he paddled up to him he saw all the blood in the water and some splashing around the boarder at which time he realized it was a shark problem.

Kudus to the lifeguard. That took some massive juevos to continue with the rescue, towing the bleeding victim into shore.

How do you avoid a shark attack? How do you keep them from being interested in eating you? Whats the best way to defend yourself from an attacking shark? How do you fight one off? I'm seriously asking cause I've been to that beach and sharks scare the $#!t out of me.

How do you avoid a shark attack? How do you keep them from being interested in eating you? Whats the best way to defend yourself from an attacking shark? How do you fight one off? I'm seriously asking cause I've been to that beach and sharks scare the $#!t out of me.
Oh, I can understand your feelings having been to the same beach I guess, but you are much more likely to die driving to the beach than at it. Deer are more deadly across the US hiways than sharks in our waters, but sharks still seem more dangerous than whitetails, huh? I think it helps to avoid splashing on the surface. If I ever get approached by one, I think I'll avoid turning my back on it and try to use my camera on his nose to discourage him. Really, I think I'll turn my strobe off as I have read that some find those exciting, but still try to get some good pics with built-in flash. The ones I've met so far seem scared of bubbles.

Don't make yourself dinner, which is pretty easy for a diver, not so easy for someone splashing on the surface.

All my bad encounters while diving have been when I or someone else was spear fishing, and they came looking for something to eat.

All the good ones were when I was just diving.

I would not have a problem diving in that area right now.

If you look at the history of Tiger attacks in the Pacific, divers are not on the menu... surfers are.

Stay out of the water is the best. If determined to go in the water then stay ankle deep. seriously, i grew up along gulf coast and here are things for swimmers i learned. not sure true but i am still alive.
1.) never go in surf or swimming over waist deep 2 hours before sundown and wait until at least 2 hours after sunrise. supposedly sharks feed at night. i think its the light factor and they can see you better in good light.
2.) if water murky, stay out- bulls have poor eyesight and along the gulf coast bull shark attacks are most common. i have never heard of a tiger attacking a swimmer along the gulf coast.
3.) stay inside first sand bar. most attacks i have heard of was where swimmer went several hundred yards off past 2nd or 3rd sand bar. sharks feed in these area 10-20 feet.
4.) avoid kicking and splashing on the surface.
5.) avoid yelling back to shore and screaming in the water. noise attracts sharks.
6.) do not pee in the water- i'm guilty but some old timer told me pee attracks sharks-who knows.
7.) if you see fishermen in the water wade fishing, stay far from them.
8.) wear garlic around your neck! just kidding.
good luck and don't worry about it too much.

Stay out of the water is the best. If determined to go in the water then stay ankle deep. seriously, i grew up along gulf coast and here are things for swimmers i learned. not sure true but i am still alive.
1.) never go in surf or swimming over waist deep 2 hours before sundown and wait until at least 2 hours after sunrise. supposedly sharks feed at night. i think its the light factor and they can see you better in good light.
Well, even waist deep you have a risk of rip currents; even ankle deep you have a risk of rogue waves like one that got a lady in California last week; staying above the high tide mark is safest but watch out for killer bees. :eyebrow: I think that bee & wasp stings kill many more than sharks in the US, and worldwide falling coconuts are many times more deadly.

Nah, it's an understandable concern. Big sharks are magnificent creatures and efficient hunters so it's reasonable to be leery of them - but keep it reasonable.

I think you can group these two together...
6.) do not pee in the water- i'm guilty but some old timer told me pee attracks sharks-who knows.

I think you can group these two together...

I would have said the same about peeing, but have read a couple of posts here recently that mentioned that urine can attract sharks as it can be a sign of a mammal in distress??? Not saying I necessarily believe it, but the this is the third time I've read about pee potentially attracting sharks in as many days. Will see if I can dig up the thread or threads.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/shark-forum/312772-peeing-my-wetsuit-attracts-shark.html
See posts #3, 6 & 11.

http://www.sharkconspiracies.net/Sh...spiracies Home_files/List to Avoid Attack.pdf

J

Um, I pee in my wetsuit AT our shark dive. They don't seem to pay special attention to me...

Sharks tend not to get too aggressive towards divers who aren't spearing but if they do get a little too curious, a bop on the nose sends the right message. Most sharks don't like bubbles so I just exhale at them.

DandyDon, the problem with nudging them off with your camera is that their skin can scratch the lens!

Um, I pee in my wetsuit AT our shark dive. They don't seem to pay special attention to me...

Sharks tend not to get too aggressive towards divers who aren't spearing but if they do get a little too curious, a bop on the nose sends the right message. Most sharks don't like bubbles so I just exhale at them.

DandyDon, the problem with nudging them off with your camera is that their skin can scratch the lens!
:camera: It's well insured! Got a spare on the boat. I've not had to nudge one yet so I think I will practice with non-body-parts. I've seen the bop on the nose but not done it yet so didn't mention it, but yeah - when I am trying to get the pic, I hold my breath with airway open trying not to exhale as that does seem to spook the ones I've met so far. Sand tigers and Reef sharks seem so shy anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom