Struggling to clear my mask during Scuba training.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water "in nose"-- Practice closing off the nose internally (soft pallet, I think). Preventing water from going into the passages. Once you know what doing that entails, there will be no need to practice it. Same way you can close off the mouth passages--ie., you can open your mouth wide underwater and no water goes down your throat. Easier to show what I mean in person.
Water in the nostrils and around the nose won't hurt you--get used to it.
I'm not one that agrees with humming, blowing air out the nose, etc. are ways to solve the problem.

Kneeling, etc.-- A side issue that popped up and is often discussed on SB. Yes, I think teaching neutrally those skills that can be done neutrally from the start is a great idea and good change from kneeling. I think the reason it is so beneficial is probably because the whole class is neutral while watching one do the skill-- thus constantly practicing buoyancy. Doing those appropriate skills (what, 6 or 7?) neutrally doesn't seem to me to be such a big deal. Myself and most I worked with from 2012-15 learned on their knees, but were very comfortable "water" people before taking up scuba, and continued to dive regularly after certification. For these folks learning on the knees was obviously no big pitfall. For someone uncomfortable in water to start with, different story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom