Structural Engineer Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben,

Are you a P.E. or E.I.T.?

Have you decided on a school?

I am also an engineer diver, I just started working in November though. I went to an ADCI school in Charleston, SC where I live. We learned a lot of things that you don't need as an engineer, however I think they helped me to be a better diver.

Most Engineers go to the school in Minnesota because they offer an abbreviated version to get your ADCI card. Since you have an engineering degree you shouldn't have to sit through hours of very basic physics...

Having both an engineering degree and an ADCI card will make you pretty marketable. However, if you can find a company that will pay for you to go to a dive school you will save some money.

Being and engineer and diver is a great career, you get time away from the office and go outdoors for field work/inspections. However, you also get to spend time in the office working on design work and being more well rounded. Just to give you an example this month I am designing a bridge, several underwater inspections in different states as well as inspecting sign structures over interstates.

Last edited:
Ben,

Are you a P.E. or E.I.T.?

Have you decided on a school?

I am also an engineer diver, I just started working in November though. I went to an ADCI school in Charleston, SC where I live. We learned a lot of things that you don't need as an engineer, however I think they helped me to be a better diver.

Most Engineers go to the school in Minnesota because they offer an abbreviated version to get your ADCI card. Since you have an engineering degree you shouldn't have to sit through hours of very basic physics...

Having both an engineering degree and an ADCI card will make you pretty marketable. However, if you can find a company that will pay for you to go to a dive school you will save some money.

Hi Folks,

Thank you for all of the responses. I have received a lot of really positive feed back from the members of the board.

Currently I’m trying to figure out how to pay for dive school. It turns out that the most recent GI Bill (Post 9/11) does not cover trade schools! This will apparently be fixed in October.

I passed the EIT in 2008.

Tks,

-Ben

Congratulations on passing your EIT and I hope you are preparing for your state PE exam! It will serve you well as you advance in your career.

Ben,

If I recall correctly, the dive school i went to accepted the GI bill. Not sure how that all works. shoot me a pm if you want the contact info of their financial aid advisor.

WagnerDiver,

If you dont mind me asking, where abouts do you work? Do you know of any openings for a engineer diver with a PE and a dive card, DCBC & ACDE.

Jeff

Thanks for the interest.

In my chatting with the VA, the new GI bill (post 9/11) kicked in July 2009 (one month after I graduated with my degree) for those who served post 9/11 does not cover trade school. This was a mistake that should be fixed sometime this year. I would love to chuck it all and go to school, but I think it would be foolish to miss out on using the VA benefits. Especially after I missed out during my undergraduate work...

Thanks Folks!

-BC

Hello All,

Several good discussions regarding engineer-divers on the forum board. I have been diving for over 25 years, and have spent 17 great years with Collins Engineers as a PE-ADCI Diver on various underwater engineering activities. Collins Engineers has projects located all over the nation, as well as many international opportunities. Engineer-divers are always encouraged to send a resume even if specific open-positions are not yet posted on their website.

Best Regards,
Engineer-Diver

just a curious question as to the way pay works for engineer divers.

is it a flat salary rate? or is it $XX/hr for dive, $XX/hr for tending, $XX/hr for travel, $XX/hr for office

or is it completely dependent on the company?

It probably depends on the company. I worked for one and it was standard hourly rate.

If you have a P.E., under the federal labor law you are considered an "Exempt from Over-time" employee, then you can be paid a salery. Which means long hours and no overtime.

thank you muddiver.

good to know talking when to prospective companies.

guess i'll end up as a salary man and need to collect

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom