Strokes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
98% Dir...went 3m too deep on nitrox

like this guy?
Flip%20mask%20200.JPG

99%... missed one item on the picture (found 9 out of 10 items)

But the test itself has a mistake in the answer section:

"8. Don't dive deeper than 30 meters, if you're using air."

DIR drones never, ever, dive on air, they use nitrox and trimix exclusively. They only use air to fill tires and to breath on the surface.

Twomixdiver:
99%... missed one item on the picture (found 9 out of 10 items)

But the test itself has a mistake in the answer section:

"8. Don't dive deeper than 30 meters, if you're using air."

DIR drones never, ever, dive on air, they use nitrox and trimix exclusively. They only use air to fill tires and to breath on the surface.
w/c in my book means you earned yourself the 100%!

that was a trick question - only the most DIR of DIRs will ever get that one

Jag

My results:

Stroke status: 21 %
DIR status: 79 %

Seems about right. I like the minimalist aspect of the DIR approach, but I think they take some things too seriously - for example, no use of air under 30m - I'd prefer to go with trimix of coure, but it's a little pricey... Also, the hoseless air integrated computers appeal to me for rec diving; one less hose = less clutter, more streamlined and your remaining air is shown right there at your wrist with all the other info. If it fails, then you can just abort the dive and go to your backups. I like computers in general. I also use a small wrist slate, is that non-DIR?

And air2-type systems seem like a good idea in princple (one less hose), though perhaps they aren't quite there yet, though an octo on shorthose is fine too... Then there are the lights... I use a small mini q40 eled mask light for night dives and it's real nice to have it there to always light your gauges and for photography. My other backup is a PCa, which is a great light for rec diving - one of the brightest lights for it's size so it's okay as a weak primary night light, and a bright, small hotspot makes it good a daytime light to look into crevices and such. I also prefer to use rechargeables in them, though I'll check the voltage before important dives.

I guessed on the whole damn thing and was still 65% DIR....how sad is that? My goal in life is to be a 100% stroke (only in the strictest GUE definition, not in poor diving habits)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom