strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle

Reaction score
can anyone tell me of other strobes out there that are good enough to do the job..all i have heard about are the inons hich im sure are top of the line ..thanks..

snuggle:
can anyone tell me of other strobes out there that are good enough to do the job..all i have heard about are the inons hich im sure are top of the line ..thanks..

The "top of the line" strobes are made by Ikelite.

The most comprehensive comaparison of u/w strobes can be found on digitaldiver.net:

http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

snuggle:

Probably the "top of the line" strobes are Hartenberger, Sea Cam & Subtronic but are all over $1,000.

Ikelite, Sea & Sea & Inon are all good "middle of the road" strobes. Jim thinks Ikelite are best. I prefer the Inons. The Inons Z220 is way smaller & lighter than the Ike 125 and uses AA batteries. The Ike 125 uses a propietary (sp?) battery pack.

It is very confusing and you probably won't go wrong with any of the 3.

HTH,
Dave

If money wasn't an issue, what one wuold you buy for a canon A95? I have their underwater housing and want to buy the best tray, arms, and dual strobes I can get. Inon or Ikelite sounds like the best brands so far for the buck...

dbh:
Probably the "top of the line" strobes are Hartenberger, Sea Cam & Subtronic but are all over $1,000.

Ikelite, Sea & Sea & Inon are all good "middle of the road" strobes. Jim thinks Ikelite are best. I prefer the Inons. The Inons Z220 is way smaller & lighter than the Ike 125 and uses AA batteries. The Ike 125 uses a propietary (sp?) battery pack.

HTH,
Dave

bjpell:
If money wasn't an issue, what one wuold you buy for a canon A95? I have their underwater housing and want to buy the best tray, arms, and dual strobes I can get. Inon or Ikelite sounds like the best brands so far for the buck...

I think that for polycarbonite housings where you are going to fire the strobe with a fiber optic cable, the Inon D2000 is the best on the market. It mimics your camera's internal strobe to give you TTL. The biggest downside is....it can only be fired via the fiber optic cable (no place to hook-up a syns cord). If you ever upgrade, it won't be compatible. If you upgrade, will you stick with this type camera?

The Z220 can be fired with either FO or sync cord. And Inon's clear film system for hooking one end of the FO to your housing is pretty slick. If I ever had visions of upgrade (IE Ike housing or LMI housing for a digicam or a DSLR), I would get the Z220.

The Ikelite 125 is a very capable strobe, but as stated earlier, it is at least twice the size and weight. This is a big consideration for traveling. If you went with the Ike 50, you would be sacrificing power & coverage (IMHO).

HTH,
Dave

PS for tray and arms, I highly recommend ULCS.

well im going to try to take some shots with the built in flash and go from there..if needed il go with the inon strobe,,,thanks for all the help..

dbh:

HTH,
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info. I checked the review & website. I can hardly hand up camera & strobe to the DM after a dive. Do you recommend their housings? I have a new Canon EOS 20D and like TTL. I am looking for housings & strobes for it. I used housed SLR previously.
Regards, Valerie

bjpell:

I have an Ikelite housing enroute, and am interested in buying a DS 50 Ikelite strobe($ an issue) single set up. The camera is a 5060. I'd appreciate input as to the type of cable to utilize.

The manual controller cable, the synch cord cable, or the slave cable set up all which are availabe at the same price including the strobe arm. The dealer suggests the synch set up but has never used a camera underwater.

DBH gave some great info, but keep in mind that S-TTL will only function in P, Av, or Tv modes with your Canon A95. In M mode (where I suggest you shoot) you'll need to use External Auto, which is also an effective means of auto strobe control.

Inon's AD mount base allows for quick underwater attachment of a 160 deg fisheye lens, a 100 deg wide angle lens, or one or two very strong macro lenses. The Inon system, combined with Ultralight Arms, would be my recomendation.

dbh:
I think that for polycarbonite housings where you are going to fire the strobe with a fiber optic cable, the Inon D2000 is the best on the market. It mimics your camera's internal strobe to give you TTL. The biggest downside is....it can only be fired via the fiber optic cable (no place to hook-up a syns cord). If you ever upgrade, it won't be compatible. If you upgrade, will you stick with this type camera?

The Z220 can be fired with either FO or sync cord. And Inon's clear film system for hooking one end of the FO to your housing is pretty slick. If I ever had visions of upgrade (IE Ike housing or LMI housing for a digicam or a DSLR), I would get the Z220.

The Ikelite 125 is a very capable strobe, but as stated earlier, it is at least twice the size and weight. This is a big consideration for traveling. If you went with the Ike 50, you would be sacrificing power & coverage (IMHO).

HTH,
Dave

PS for tray and arms, I highly recommend ULCS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom