Strobes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee, point taken.... :D . Unfortunately Ike was the only one that did TTL for digital. And the integrated aiming light was important for me.

Got to say this though: was a bit disappointed with the finish of the DS125. The YS90 finish is just far superior. It's polycarbonate isn't it, Dee?

One thing good about the remote sensor though is that it gives me the option of using the internal strobe fairly easily if required...

I learned photography before TTL and so never came to depend on it. In fact, the times I have used it I just wasn't satisfied with the results. For whatever reason, TTL wasn't important. Is the aiming light built-in on the Ike strobe? I've always attached small flashlite to my strobe with big rubber bands...voila! Aiming light! I don't mean to make fun...it's just that I've always sort of been a do-it-yourself kind of person!

Yes, the YS90 body is polycarbonate. The internal strobe is very easy to use with the YS90, too. Just release the bit of velcro on the FO patch and move it. I don't know what steps are involved with the Ike.

Bottom line is both strobes are very good and each has both it's strong and weak spots. And those vary with every users opinion.

DO NOT BUY ON EBAY
unless you are absolutely sure of what you are getting.

I have been burned so many times that it is ridiculous.
Sellers overstate the item and I've end up dissappointed.

Remember that people are selling you things that they would NOT sell to your face. Once the deal is over the buyer is left holding the bag (or a previously flooded unit in my case...)
:(

Dee once bubbled...
I've always attached small flashlite to my strobe with big rubber bands...voila! Aiming light! I don't mean to make fun...it's just that I've always sort of been a do-it-yourself kind of person!

Dee-as far as your aiming light:
Is this something you can use other than at night? Is there a secret to aiming your strobe during the day? With my new arms I'm going to have some new challenges in aiming.

Steve:confused:

Bacchus once bubbled...

Dee-as far as your aiming light:
Is this something you can use other than at night? Is there a secret to aiming your strobe during the day? With my new arms I'm going to have some new challenges in aiming.

Steve:confused:

For macro or CFWA shots, the aiming light can be seen in the daytime, of course it's brighter at night. A laser pointer works too. Experience will teach you alot...what else is new?

What helped me alot was an old target in the swimming pool and a laser pointer. I used a couple of suction cup picture hangers to hold an old paper gun target to the wall of the pool. With the laser pointer rubber banded to my strobe, I practiced aiming it. After a while I could reach up and move my strobe, without looking at it, as I changed distances. It took awile to get used to underwater distances.

Dee once bubbled...

For macro or CFWA shots, the aiming light can be seen in the daytime, of course it's brighter at night. A laser pointer works too. Experience will teach you alot...what else is new?

I thought about a laser pointer, too. Questions that came up were
(if you meant that you actually dive with it, not just use it to practice)

1. Is there one that can handle being underwater (at depth)
2. Wouldn't it have to be on continuously
3. Wouldn't the red dot from the pointer show up in your picture?

Maybe you meant that you just used it to practice in the pool and then use your light for "aiming" in real life. :confused:

Thanks

Steve :)

Yeah the aiming light is in the centre of the strobe. It's also bright enough as a night diving torch (flashlight) - just kept it on throughout the dive.

I know what you mean Dee - the DIY thing - I do that a lot myself :D .

To use the internal strobe I made something (I though was quite clever) :

I bought one of those flip-up sunglass thingy that is used to clip onto spectacles. I unscrewed the dark lenses and used the internal flash diffuser of the PT015 as a template and cut out a slightly larger shape in black plastic and screwed that back onto the clip. Then just clip onto the flash diffuser and it will block the flash. If I want to use the internal flash I just flip the block up. Just make sure you tie the clip to the housing as I learnt the hard way losing the prototype!

Bacchus once bubbled...

I thought about a laser pointer, too. Questions that came up were
(if you meant that you actually dive with it, not just use it to practice)

1. Is there one that can handle being underwater (at depth)
2. Wouldn't it have to be on continuously
3. Wouldn't the red dot from the pointer show up in your picture?

Maybe you meant that you just used it to practice in the pool and then use your light for "aiming" in real life. :confused:

Thanks

Steve :)

1) 'They' make one for u/w use. Not sure what they cost as I won mine in a door prize thing.
2) Yes, but the rechargeable batteries last for a couple of dives so it's no biggy.
3) Not usually, the strobe will wash it out. It also depends on your background. Anything busy, like coral and vegetation, it just gets lost. But it can show up on sand and really light, smooth surfaces.

I don't use the laser anymore because an aiming light is easier to see (except at night) and I don't have to worry about the background. It was most useful in the pool as a learning tool. Another good use for the lazer is for your buddy to have one to point things out that he's found. Beast can spot a Scorpionfish and Juv. Spotted Drums from a mile away! He just circles the subject with the lazer until I find it, plus the lazer doesn't scare stuff like a light does.

Steve

Santa brought me one of those laser pointers ....well not for the camera ..... but more to use like Dee mentions ...... This is the other place I get into a lot of trouble :D ....Although mine isn’t what is shown there ....It was $24.95 takes 2 AA batteries depth range to about 200' and a spotting range of .....1500-2500 feet :eek: :eek: ....well that’s beyond any Good Vis day I've ever dived on....

ReyeR once bubbled...
Yeah the aiming light is in the centre of the strobe. It's also bright enough as a night diving torch (flashlight) - just kept it on throughout the dive.

How did that aiming light work out for you ???? Any hot spot noticed when using at night ??.... I've yet to use mine ..... but thats going to change this spring :) :)

Back
Top Bottom