Strobes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck Ranger

Reaction score
Okay. I need the board's help once more. I am looking for a strobe for my c-3020 in an Olympus PT010. I can't afford the one I want which is the ds90. Is the ds25 a good strobe? Are there any other brands besides Ikelite or Sea & Sea that make good strobes that are affordable?

Have anyone seen strobes used on Ebay or somewhere else? If so what do you all think about buying something like this USED?

Is Epoch good and where to buy? I know Allen can help me on price but I'm not sure if that will even get me to my budget. I'd like to stay 300 or less if possible. Doesn't look too attainable though.

Thanks for of your help in advance.
Nathan

Thanks raxafarian,
I figured I'd get that response from most everyone. i have the problem of when I want it I don't like to wait. it's a little thing I like to call IMPATIENCE:):).
Thank you for your reply. I just wasn't sure if there was any other good companies out there. I will probably wait for the DS90.

I know it's hard to do but I don't think you'll be happy settling for less.

Alan can tell you much more about the Epoche than I can, all I really remember was it was dismissed off my list rather quickly. The Ikelite ds-50 is just marginally sufficient for coverage angle and not adequate at all for wide angle. The DS-125 would be your only choice really and it costs as much or more than the 90.

With all the advantages of the YS90DX, I'd wait for it....you won't be sorry!

since I have not used a c3020, but if you don't need the pre flash feature on the S&S YS90DX you can get the S&S YS90. It should be a bit cheaper than the S&S YS90DX.

scuubaadoo once bubbled...
since I have not used a c3020, but if you don't need the pre flash feature on the S&S YS90DX you can get the S&S YS90. It should be a bit cheaper than the S&S YS90DX.

With the Oly C-3XXX and 4XXX cameras, you have to use a strobe that detects the pre-flash. I'm not sure about the C-5050

I was wondering if I'm on the right track with the following idea..
As far as I know when I set my C5050 to "slave", the preflsh is disabled and you get one flash only.
I have mine housed in a PT-015 housing, so I can't use a sync chord, I'll have to go with a sensor.. So if I go with the slave setting, do I still need to get a digital strobe?? Any normal strobe should do.. I was thinking about the Ikelite DS-125, but since I would be using it mostly in manual mode, what would be the point of spending the extra money.. How about just a nice plain normal strobe with the camera in slave mode...
What do you guys think?

If you can disable the pre-flash, then any slave strobe should work ...at least it sounds like it would!

sparky30

Yes you can set the C5050 to slave (pre-flash disabled) when you set it to manual mode (M). You can then select the flash setting from 1 to 10. The nifty thing is that with the flash set to slave and 1 it recycles super fast which was great with my Ike DS125 which also recycles super fast. Also it will fire in Super Macro mode but I would imagine it to be pretty difficult to light a subject that's 3 cms from the lens using the external strobe !

If you've decided to go complete manual with the camera then slave mode would be great for you.

If you've decided to go complete manual with the strobe as well then IMHO (and Dee will probably agree with me) the S&S YS90 would be perfect. You can use the DS125 with the new slave sensor which allows you to dial finer setting but I'd imagine the combination to be more expensive than the YS90.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom