Strobes: How do you utilize them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Billy Northrup

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Strobes have come a long way with LED's. Not are they only more reliable they have multiple modes.

When attached to the diver I can see my buddy blinking long after the halo of the primary has faded out because it's pointed in the wrong direction. I can see it around corners as well. Haven't had any issue with vertigo in heavy silt, the strobe is on the back of a deco tank marking my six, so not allot of light makes it around to my eyes.

I suppose you could make a quick Hansel and Gretel trail with them, mark up lines, tank drops whatever.

Rescue marker when adrift maybe kiester your SMB with it to light it up.

What do you all think?

I played around with the idea of using sealed fishing strobes for marking stuff. They cost about 3 bucks, come in different colors, etc. The power is modest - they run for 300 hours or something so they don't blast out the light, but i thought it might be handy for non-critical stuff and I expect in a low light situation they'd be pretty visible.

They are water activated and I sealed the contacts with a little blob of silicon, which seamed to work fine. You just pry off the blob with your thumbnail when ready to use. They'll cut back off when dry.

Here's what I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.com/【Upgraded】-U...pID=41g2l5qywJL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

For wreck diving in my neck of the woods (Massachusetts) we use strobes to mark the line (anchor, mooring, shot, etc) and I very rarely see people use strobes on their person. Leaving stobes on the line is helpful not just to mark the line, but also to see who’s still on the wreck.

Since I cant afford a disco ball, I just hang several of them around the dance floor and turn off the lights. Sure, you may have a few people that start foaming at the mouth and convulsing, but most don't, and it really makes the Bee Gees music sound better and hides the silliness of old people trying to dance.

Since I cant afford a disco ball, I just hang several of them around the dance floor and turn off the lights. Sure, you may have a few people that start foaming at the mouth and convulsing, but most don't, and it really makes the Bee Gees music sound better and hides the silliness of old people trying to dance.
Hey man, I see disco balls for free. Want a me to hook you up?

I like to put one at the top of the anchor chain in bad viz... but honestly if the viz is that bad I just run a reel from close to the anchor to wherever I’m going.

Besides clipping a strobe to deco tanks I find them to be invaluable in navigating a wreck. Often times when placed at an entry and then swing around a wreck to another entry the strobe can help find a way through to the strobe. Great for orientation in this case as well.

I just ordered this one here in europe:
Mares EOS Strobe

Planning to use it for night dives and wreck dives (shot line, entrance/exit..)
I think even whitout blinking just in steady mode it will work nice as a little helper.
Anyone already using it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom