strobes and underwater portraits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fotoleaf

New
Reaction score
I am looking for a strobe set for a ikelite houseing for a canon 10d. I am planning to do underwater portraits in an indoor swimming pool and curious if you think one strobe would be enough. Would it create harsh shadows? Would I need an additional strobe for fill light? opinions?

i started learning my camera in a pool at the lds i teach at, i feel that if the pool is well lit, one strobe will be just fine so long as it is a strong enough one, i use the ike-lite ds-125, ike-lite housing and canon ps-pro-1, i would try one first and see what kind of results you get, i soon will add a second but i do a lot of wide angle underwater and poor vis type stuff!!! oh and hey WELCOME to scubaboard!!!!!!!

hey, I am no expert but I do like taking pictures in the pool, especially of kids!

these, I took in my pool of my sister and my kidlets. I used one strobe (Dx125). Curious to know what type of portraits you will be doing..... there is a woman who was on Oprah a couple years back and she does mothers and daughters, etc in filmy flowing gowns underwater, in the pool and they are incredible.

If your strobe head doesn't have a diffuser on it, then soften the light by using one. Catherine's strobes look they are pretty soft to me and that is why to my minds eye they look great.

When doing portrait work above water I go to great pains (for the most part) to use diffused light. Doesn't mean that I don't shoot with a high f-stop, but instead the shadows are soft and minor.

nice avatar! yea, I have a diffuser. I have lost about three already in current. I finally figured out you can leash them with monofilament.

catherine96821:
nice avatar! yea, I have a diffuser. I have lost about three already in current. I finally figured out you can leash them with monofilament.

I just ordered a diffuser for my SS200 (which I've never used UW BTW :D ). But I will, ohh I will! :11doh:

I would have never thought of leashing the diffuser to the strobe! Thanks for the idea. So how exactly is that done?

I bet you could drill a small hole in the side and then do as Catherine so nicely suggested - use some high test monofilament.

Another idea would be to drill two holes - one on each side. Then tie a small loop through each hole first going around a 1" band of inner tube that was just big enough to stretch around the outside of the strobe. This way you could flip up the diffuser underwater if you needed direct strobe light and it wouldn't hang in the way.

Not sure if that makes sense. I'll have to see if I can't do it to one of my strobes and take a pict.

My diffuser has a tiny hole which I never noticed until this pro shooting in Coz pointed it out and told me what to do. I never got around to it and lost several...finally I tied a little leash to it.....see? I know some stuff. :D

Hmmm. Diffuser? I never use them but I might just try now...

Back
Top Bottom