Strobe troubleshooting help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akdeepdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a DC600 and strobe for it. I was in HAwaii this week and the strobe was not firing. Batteries are good, I had just replaced them. If i switched from on to test, the strobe fires. Camera was set for "external Flash". It has worked in the past and not shure why it is not now. Any tips would be appreciated.
Myles

How old is the fiber optic cable? They can break. If you hold a flashlight against one end, can you see light coming out of the other end? Are there any obvious bends or breaks in the cable? Do you have the retro-fit upgrade for the strobe? This is a piece of curved plastic that fits between the strobe and the outer rubber piece that holds the fiber optic cable against the sensor on the strobe. The fiber optic cable holder fits into a cutout in the retro fit part to hold the end of the cable exactly against the small sensor.

I assume that the strobe does not fire above water? If you remove the cable altogether, and hold the exposed sensor of the strobe in front of the exposed flash in the camera, does the strobe fire?

Hi ,
make sure besides the cable is properly placed on the camera , make sure the other end of the cable ( which is a black circle on the flash cable) is properly placed on the flash under the yellow rubber flange. I bumped mine and the flash would not fire - good luck

Those were my two guesses. My cable broke on me on my recent trip :sad: and I have had the link get off of spot on the strobe before.

Last edited:
You could also send it to us for a full inspection and any service it might need. All the above points are good as well to troubleshoot yourself. Let me know if it is working again.

Joe

Damn my last post looked like it was written by a kindergartner. Fixed, I hope. :blush:
You could also send it to us for a full inspection and any service it might need. All the above points are good as well to troubleshoot yourself. Let me know if it is working again.

Joe
Yep, Sealife may not be the best choice for everyone, but you can't beat their customer support. Call 800-257-7742, ask for Tech support, get an RMA#, send it. They've always been great to me. :thumb:

Joe

Joe,
Wat is your turn around time on service? I have a trip to Truk at the begining of June and if I need to send it, I would hopefully like to have it when I go.
Myles

Joe,
Wat is your turn around time on service? I have a trip to Truk at the begining of June and if I need to send it, I would hopefully like to have it when I go.
Myles
You need to phone for a RMA# anyway. 800-257-7742, ask for Karl - super fellow, explain... :wink:

Don was right, best to call and get the RMA. When speaking to them mention that it is time sensitive and when you need it back by. Depending on the season our turnaround time(in shop, not shipping) can be from 24hours to a week. It may seem long but you can imagine what it gets like just before the season starts!

Joe

Back
Top Bottom