Strobe suggestions - what to buy for use with Canon DSLR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MermaidLaura

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone advise what strobe would work best with a canon 600D in Sea and Sea housing? I want to be able to use the optic fibre to connect strobe to housing.

Would prefer the TTL option.

I am not willing to consider the YS-D1 strobe as I am returning mine as it is the 3rd faulty one I have received and have had enough.

The photos I take are mainly macro in bad (green water) visibility and then wide angle when I travel to the Red Sea and Mozambique each year.

I have a focus light so a spotting/modelling light in the strobe is not important.

Thank you!

I use Ikelite DS125 and DS160. The DS 51 work fine for macro. These are good strobes but they are pretty large and can be a bit clunky. Now, I have not found TTL to be worth using. The reason for this is there are plenty of circumstances where TTL just will not work. Also, I find in most situations, I can dial in at a certain F stop, shutter speed, iso and power setting on my strobes pretty quickly. I will increase the power on long shots and reduce it for close ups.

You could well find more suitable strobes. As I said, the IKE strobes are pretty big.

I use twin Ikelite DS160's.

I have to disagree with you using a fiberoptic pickup, instead of hard wiring to your flashes. The above flashes would be hard-wired to your port, with a dual sync cable. If you want TTL, this is the only way to do it (in lieu of a "slave" controller), otherwise your in-camera flash will fire, too.

I also have two DS51's on a smaller rig. For macro, these would also work just fine (PM me if you're interested in purchasing, as I don't use them much).

You will also need some arms to mount the flashes on. Ikelite makes a nice system for that, or you can use LocLine's (but not on big flash units - they won't hold)>

The Ikelite DS-160/161 is a really good strobe. Not cheap but they are really outstanding. I sucked it up and bought the DS-161 in case I ever did get into video. It does both.

-Charles

Inon D-2000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom