Strobe question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
my wife recently purchased a new UW camera set up with a strobe that is triggered by the cameras flash. the problem is that there is a significant lag between the cameras flash and the strobes flash. I figure about 1 second or more between them. That doesn't sound like much, but the shutter speeds are usually faster than that, so I think the strobe is not helping the shot at all. it seems to fire after the photo is taken. Why is this, and what can we do to stop it or correct it? we were using the "auto" setting due to the camera case not having the buttons available to use manual modes. I would think a manual mode setting with shutter speeds of over 1 second would be far too slow to take any pictures while underwater.

diverrick:
my wife recently purchased a new UW camera set up with a strobe that is triggered by the cameras flash. the problem is that there is a significant lag between the cameras flash and the strobes flash. I figure about 1 second or more between them. That doesn't sound like much, but the shutter speeds are usually faster than that, so I think the strobe is not helping the shot at all. it seems to fire after the photo is taken. Why is this, and what can we do to stop it or correct it? we were using the "auto" setting due to the camera case not having the buttons available to use manual modes. I would think a manual mode setting with shutter speeds of over 1 second would be far too slow to take any pictures while underwater.

It's going to be difficult to help if you don't bother listing the model of the camera and strobe. You should also describe what settings you are using.

One way to see if the strobe is syncing with the camera is to setup a shot where the in camera strobe is not powerful enough to light the scene. An indoor subject at 15 feet with an aperture of maybe f8 should do the trick, and make sure the shutter speed is not long, like maybe 1/60. With the extrenal stobe on, you should see increased exposure vs. with just the in camaer flash.

Common problem with remote strobes slaved off of the main cameras flash in digital cameras.

The problem is most likely in the setup of the camera flash. If the flash "pulses" before it fires, this will be the problem. The pulse is designed to let the camera adjust for the lighting conditions among other things depending on the camera. Then it fires the main burst and exposes the image. Your remote strobe sees this pulse and follows along, causing it to discharge prematurely. You will need to get into the setup of the camera, and set it for remote flash mode, which eliminates the pulse flash from the equation. Play with it at home and you'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps....

pt40fathoms:
Common problem with remote strobes slaved off of the main cameras flash in digital cameras.

The problem is most likely in the setup of the camera flash. If the flash "pulses" before it fires, this will be the problem. The pulse is designed to let the camera adjust for the lighting conditions among other things depending on the camera. Then it fires the main burst and exposes the image. Your remote strobe sees this pulse and follows along, causing it to discharge prematurely. You will need to get into the setup of the camera, and set it for remote flash mode, which eliminates the pulse flash from the equation. Play with it at home and you'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps....

He indicated that the main strobe is fireing after the camera strobe, not that it's firing prematurely. I agree with what you have said, but it does not seem to describe the problem.

diverrick:
Tell us what model camera and flash. Otherwise we are guessing.

Most digital cameras control a flash differently than old film cameras, so you need a slave flash that has been designed for digital cameras. Digital cameras flash twice, preflash to set white balance then the main flash about 100 milliseconds later. It sounds like your slave flash is not able to cope with this, and possibly is flashing the second time when it has recharged a bit, say after a second. But that's a guess, since we don't know your camera and flash model.

The camera is supposed to be a Bonica, but I don't see that word anywhere on the camera. The camera says "Mercury" on the front it is 5.0 MP the strobe came with the camera set up and it says "neon III undewater strobelight digital" on the side. The instructions for the camera call it a "sea pix digital" I wonder if the position of the switch inside the strobe can have any effect on the speed? It is currently set on setting one, per the instructions
I can only use the camera on "auto" currently as the case does not have all the buttons to run the camera in manual mode, or semi manual. I am already making plans to have that little problem corrected. Seeing as the case flooded right away, I have to send it all back anyhow. They'll add the other buttons while it is being repaired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom