Strobe marker light - Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone:

I am looking for a strobe to mark a point of entry/exit underwater for night diving. This should be in pretty clear waters (Bonaire).
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

I also like the Princeton Tec Aqua Strobe for marking exit points in clear water. Though, on most shore dive sites in Bonaire I usually put it on land, on the back of the truck or hung from a tree.

Princeton Tec Aqua Strobe at www.DiveSeekers.com

AquaStrobe.jpg

I've been using these for some years now:

Safety Items - Strobes - Jotron AQ4 Strobe - Northeast Scuba Supply

Depth rated to 500 meters (1600 ft.), manufactured in Norway and are NATO (military) grade quality.

Jotron website states a working depth of 300 meters. Reserching Jotron vs. Tektite, results are interesting. A lot of pro/cons on both of them. Jotron has my vote at this point. Had one but gave it as a tip to a divemaster in Honduras. He loved it!

This might be more than you need on Bonaire but a boat I was recently on had 2 of these hanging off the ladder. They were so bright it was almost annoying but you could definitely see it a long way away. Tektite Xenon Strobe 300 - it was either this or the slightly cheaper model 200.

unnamed.jpg

Mares has a nice combination strobe beacon on one end an a LED light on the other for about $45 just bought two for our trip next week.

Get this one and be done with it. I've used some of the cheaper ones and they don't last. I use these to mark tie in lines all the time on the East Coast.

For a quick trip to Bonaire, go with the cheapest you can find (I haven't seen anything to indicate that they're not all the same strobe made in China). Piranhadivemfg.com typically has them.

For something that's going to last through abuse and shine through bad vis, the Jotron is great.

For something you can assault a mugger with--and win--the Narked@90 looks awesome.

Back
Top Bottom