Strobe Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsvihrajr

Reaction score
Right now I have a Canon S230 with the Canon DC600 housing. I'm semi-new to diving, but have enough experience (AOW with a few specialties, getting Rescue soon) to work with my camera and dive safely while doing so.

I'm debating whether it's possible to get a strobe that I can use now with my housing and also in the future with an Olympus, Nikon, or Canon housing. Basically, from what I've read the PT-015, which is very popula, takes a slave strobe, which is what I'd need for my housing now, right? And TTL is with a housing that has a plug? How does the PT-015 set off a strobe? And any suggestions on what I might get?

The cameras internal flash sets off the external strobe.
The Sea & Sea YS90DX is a popular strobe along with the newer Inon D-180.
They both use a fiber optic cable to transmit the light from the cameras internal strobe to the external strobe head (frame 1 below for the Inon). I believe the S&S uses a Velcro type device to attach the cable to the front of the camera housing.
The Inon uses a screw on plate that attaches over the camera housings flash diffuser panel (frames 2 and 3 below) and the other end screws into the strobe head (frames 4 & 5 below). It also has a dark film patch with adhesive that covers the camera flash to block it and convert it to infra-red (frame 6 below).
I recently purchased the Inon D-180 for my Oly PT-010 and am happy with it. It is a very compact unit. Click on"My Camera Setup" link below to see it.
This is what the fiber optic setup looks like for the PT-010. The kit varies in design for the different housings.
opticparts.jpg

We should pin or somehow put this in a place where it could be viewed by all those who ask the main "What strobe?, how does it work?" questions The images are really helpful.
Just MHO,
TedJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom