Strobe for Canon G11 with Canon WP-DC34 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question sir, Im also about to set up a G11. Is the "ES150 Epoque" strobe good?

I have Epoque ES230DS, the big brother; I bought it c/w 10 bar flex arm tray and FO cable for just slightly above 300 bucks. I use this strobe with my Oly SP-350
Although Epoque claim the strobe is GN23 (or GN20?), but It produce narrow beam - so the supplied difuser must be used all the time which certainly reduce the GN; though I have no idea the actual GN with the diffuser but enough to light up to 1.5 m at iso 200 f5.6 1/100. No complain since most of the time I shoot macro, For a strobe w/ 2 AA battery, the cycle time is not too bad.
No TTL, though not very important as I shoot always in manual. But, I don't like its small manual power controller; not convenience to use.

In other hand, I also have Inon D-2000 type 3 for my G9. Very compact and well made strobe; good quality product. The diffuser must be purchased separately - it reduce the power 0.5 fstop only.
If you can afford, go with Inon D-2000. The sTTL is accurate although I never use it.

Both produce good results - at least to my standard.
I took this picture taken with Oly SP-350 and Epoque ES230 DS.

Chromodoris_leopardus_Lembeh_2.jpg

My daughter took the same nudi with G9 and Inon D2000 type 3.

Chromodoris_leopardus_Lembeh_3.jpg

I was looking for a strobe on the cheap to use with my housed canon point and shooot and ended up with the Intova ISS-2000. I couldn't find much in the way of pictures/reviews so I put some test shots up showing the strobes power (lack of?). 20' shot of ISS-2000 at full power, 1/500 shutter with histogram.

err, can't post URLs huh, ok well if you google "intova strobe a720 canon" the first link (blogspot) is it.

This thread was incredibly helpful--thanks so much to everyone who contributed.

After reading this thread and comparing a bunch of the strobes using the web app (thanks for that--very helpful), I think I'm going to buy the Inon S-2000 to pair with my G11 and Canon housing.

Is there a relatively inexpensive tray/arm/ball combo or kit that you gurus recommend?

Thanks again!

This thread was incredibly helpful--thanks so much to everyone who contributed.

After reading this thread and comparing a bunch of the strobes using the web app (thanks for that--very helpful), I think I'm going to buy the Inon S-2000 to pair with my G11 and Canon housing.

Is there a relatively inexpensive tray/arm/ball combo or kit that you gurus recommend?

Thanks again!

If you want to spend a lot then get the UCLS tray, handle and arms.

If you want something similar for a lot less then the two places to look would be ebay... think the seller is nyxell. In the US, is opticaloceansales.com

I wound up ordering a YS27-DX, but haven't gotten it yet, nor taken it on my trip.

On another bright note, I understand Jill Heinerth's book on U/W Digital Photography will be out in a couple weeks!!
:D

Ben,

Being that you have a quality camera, and are buying a very quality set of strobes, Id do it right and get the ULCS arms, tray and handle. These are very versatile and will last years...they grow with you and can be used for nearly any system. ULCS is original, the others are copies

I was looking for a strobe on the cheap to use with my housed canon point and shooot and ended up with the Intova ISS-2000. I couldn't find much in the way of pictures/reviews so I put some test shots up showing the strobes power (lack of?). 20' shot of ISS-2000 at full power, 1/500 shutter with histogram.

err, can't post URLs huh, ok well if you google "intova strobe a720 canon" the first link (blogspot) is it.

No strobe will work effectively at 20 feet distance. Effective strobe range is usually just a few feet, that is why wide angle capability is so important.

Use Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket for image sharing and then use then put the direct link into your post, the image will show up in the post.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom