Stripping & painting AL Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300:
is a waste of effort IMO...if you dive much at all, it'll just get scratched and look ratty.

If you must paint, do NOT heat-cure (bake) the cylinder...

When it then gets all scratched and ratty looking, then it looks really cool, like you have actually been somewhere!

IndigoBlue:
When it then gets all scratched and ratty looking, then it looks really cool, like you have actually been somewhere!

I don't like murals, bumper stickers, mesh wraps, anodizing, paint or anything else on my cylinders...the VIP and O2 clean stickers are enough adornments. The boring galvanized or unpainted aluminum is fine with me.

I'm not meaning the whole tank as a scene or something, I could bo buy a cover for that, just perhaps a logo or something like that. Our kids (at home) are Bulldogs, and I was thinking of a Bulldog diver or something.

No Heating For Sure

cyklon_300:
is a waste of effort IMO...if you dive much at all, it'll just get scratched and look ratty.

That doesn't happen to all the painted steel cylinders that are commonly used in the UK

NO HEATING! I still have nightmares from the AL 80 tank that exploded at around 1500 psi in our dive shop while it was being filled..due to baked on paint job..

But my question is ? are some colors taboo to use. I thought of painting my tanks fire engine red, but i thought I might be mistakin for a secue diver or something. is there any color code on tanks that indentifies the divers skills.

Mike

GotAir:
But my question is ? are some colors taboo to use. I thought of painting my tanks fire engine red...
Fire engine red is a great color, they'll look sickly grey by the time you hit 30 feet deep.

Good 'ol ROY G. BIV....

Roak (NOT a fan of color, except maybe yellow, which hangs in there 'till about 100 feet, maybe more.)

GotAir:
But my question is ? are some colors taboo to use. I thought of painting my tanks fire engine red, but i thought I might be mistakin for a secue diver or something. is there any color code on tanks that indentifies the divers skills.

Mike

Black, all black, everything black, black exposure suit, black tanks, black mask, black snorkel, black regs and hoses, this colour identifies a hunter. I have kneeled for countless hours like this, underwater, behind rocks, just a black hole in the water, reflecting no light at all. The fish cannot see you then. Its as if you are not even there, as long as you do not move. You can see wonderous things for moments on end, like this.

Some hunters like to wear camo. But have found that black works even better.

a screaming pink AL80 for an Argon storage bottle...

Stands out like a sore thumb and reduces the likelihood anyone will mistakenly grab it for backgas...the Death's Heads and Ar - Do NOT Breathe signs are a tipoff, too.

I guess you could use martial arts belt color schemes for skill levels...work your way up to brown and then black cylinders. You'd have to be able to cut your cylinder in half with your hand to get the black rating.

Back
Top Bottom