Streamlining a pistol grip light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
You beccha sweet tank-banger, Pilgrim . . . .

Fastest gun in the West.
No....East.
Errrrr....South
Sorry :)

It hurts, weally, weally badwy . . .
I have even taken it upon myself to get a doctor's appointment.
I am near death's door . . .

the K

Green_Manelishi:
Most usually I carry a canister light but when I choose to NOT use that light I use a Princeton Tec "ShockWave". There is one bolt snap tied, using parachute cord, to the handle. There is "3-strand loop" of shock-cord that is weaved through the handle as well.; I think through the same hold as the bolt snap tie-off. Until I need the light it is clipped off. When using the light I have my hand through the shock-cord loop. If I have to let go the light it only drops an inch or so because of the shock-cord wrapped around my wrist.

Can you post a picture?

What I really need is a method of keeping the light from swinging around and hitting my nether regions (already happened on land :11: ) by keeping it out of the way when I'm not using it. I have some scrap webbing left over, I might try the holster idea.

I'm planning on clipping the light off to a bungee loop on my wrist while using it so I can't drop it. In the past with my SL4 I would just leave it clipped to my chest while using it.

Green_Manelishi:
I hope this illustrates what I did to "rig" the light.
*collective gasp* Oooooh. Niiiiiiiice.

Seriously though, that looks like a good arrangement.

I'm wondering if one could attach a loop of bungee to one's shoulder strap, clip the light at the bottom of the handle to the shoulder D-ring, and put the light end under the loop on the shoulder strap, thus keeping it tied down against you.

Green_Manelishi:
I hope this illustrates what I did to "rig" the light.

A picture says a thousand words. When I read your original post it just wasn't clicking. Do you have any problem with the shock cord slipping off your wrist?

FYI .. what is illustrated as one strand of shock cord is actually a '3 strand' loop created by looping one piece three times through the handle then tieing it off to itself. The 3 strands makes the loop a bit more secure and stable. If wondering why the bolt-snap is not on the shock cord that is to allow me to hold the bolt snap against the handle, rather than dangling, when the light. Also, if the snap was on the shock cord, clipping it off would not keep it as close as it is with the short, non-stretchable piece of parachute cord.

teknitroxdiver:
*collective gasp* Oooooh. Niiiiiiiice.

Seriously though, that looks like a good arrangement.

I'm wondering if one could attach a loop of bungee to one's shoulder strap, clip the light at the bottom of the handle to the shoulder D-ring, and put the light end under the loop on the shoulder strap, thus keeping it tied down against you.

I suppose you could but I am not exactly sure what you are describing. If you are describing a "leash", that would eliminate the possibility of the light being lost but that's why the light should be turned on before you unclip it. If it works for you by all means do so.

ID diver:
A picture says a thousand words. When I read your original post it just wasn't clicking. Do you have any problem with the shock cord slipping off your wrist?

No. The loop is sized for my wrist and slides over my hand by stretching. Once over my hand and onto my wrist it will not slide back over my hand without being pulled. Keep in mind I want it secure but not so tight there is a risk of restricting blood flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom