Stream of champagne bubbles from first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
For the last four or five dives, my wife has had a small stream of champagne bubble coming from the bottom of her first stage (the bottom of the cylinder, there's a kind of depressed portion and a seam there -- the bubbles seem to be coming out of that seam). The rate seems to be constant whether she is breathing or not; and it is very small -- unnoticeable unless you look pretty carefully. It's a HOG reg about 50 dives and 1.5 years old.

Here is a pic with the bottom end up.

PA120223.JPG

If we were in the States we'd take it to our LDS but and we live in Bali and we're in N. Sulawesi right now. When we get back to Bali we can have it looked at. Meantime should we be worried?

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

Probably the diaphragm. Needs a rebuild. I have the same reg with the same problem.

To answer the question...should you be worried? Ask yourself, if it fails, not that it will, but if it fails during a dive what are you going to do in the next few seconds?

Needs servicing ... I would not dive with that stage unless you have appropriate bailout (without issues) with you, not your buddy.

Dive safe and have fun.

I think the point has been hammered home, service it. For the record, you have it right side up in that picture. The turret is on the "bottom" of the reg and the enviro seal is on top.

To answer the question...should you be worried? Ask yourself, if it fails, not that it will, but if it fails during a dive what are you going to do in the next few seconds?

If I recall, you guys took GUE Fundies. Then I know exactly what you are going to do in the next few seconds.

Still, get the reg serviced as soon as possible.

Meantime should we be worried?

I dive HOG regs and have had them apart far enough to switch in the environmental seal and reset the IP.

What you have is a diaphragm leak. Possible causes would be insufficient assembly torque or progressive shrinkage, deterioration, or cold flow of the diaphragm material over time leading to a leak around the rim. Less likely there may be a pinhole in the material. Either way, I would guess it will get worse, gradually. I would recommend service at the first reasonable opportunity.

If the threads are tight enough that you can't loosen or tighten them with your hands with reasonable force, it's not going to come apart. In your situation, I would check that, then dive it. I'm not an expert, mind, just another diver, and that's just my opinion.

I think the point has been hammered home, service it. For the record, you have it right side up in that picture. The turret is on the "bottom" of the reg and the enviro seal is on top.

Thanks. Does it matter? the reason we have it what way is because if we mount the turret down, the hoses will get pushed by the wing.

- Bill

Back
Top Bottom