Strap fins! Think of it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I bought some Volo fins (size XL) and wear them with booties (size 10 US), but have noticed that i need to fully tighten the straps so as to firmly secure the fin.

My question is:

Should i keep the fins so as to make use of the larger surface area or should i exchange them for a regular sized fin? do keep in mind that the regular sized fin is made for US sizes 7 - 10 while the XL is made for 11 and above...

your thoughts?

I don't get it. Why did you buy a fin too big for your foot?

The sales person at the dive shop recommended that i go with the XL size Fins.

I returned to the shop yesterday and asked to try the regular sized fins and felt that thier pocket was a bit too tight.

Once again the sales person inspected the fins and told me to stick with the XL.

His reasoning was. I should have about 4-5 cm of my heal comming out of the fin so as to get the maximum comfort while diving. I eventually stuck with the XL fins but have not used them as yet so as to get a second opinion!!!

What should i do :(

Let me make sure that I've got this.

1. You bought fins that are for larger feet than yours.

2. You thought the fins were too large.

3. You tried on the next size down.

4. Those were too tight.

What makes you think that the Regulars are too tight? I've got a pair for my size 10 feet and they fit fine, even with a heavy boot.

From the sound of it, the XL's are too big.

Regardless, here's a novel solution: If the Regulars are truly too small and the XL's are too big, exchange the Volos for another brand. Perhaps they'll be just right.

Not all fins are created equal. Like shoes, some fit feet better than others.

It might be that the L is too tight and the XL is too loose. You might want to try on some other fins (not Volos) as well.

Ari :)

I have a pair of quattros size XL, a little to big for my size 10 1/2 foot but the next size down was way to small. The straps would have to be pulled all the way before I felt some comfort. Untill I put on some handy dandy spring straps, (problem solved). Do a search on spring straps go to home depot and make some.......

Brandon

You guys have been of great help. I shall research the spring staps suggestion and see what comes up...

Thanks

Here's some info you might be able to use if your search for spring strap materials becomes tedious as I have recently researched this topic myself.

Mcmaster Carr Supply sells every form of electrical, plumbing, and HVAC material available and good Spring straps can be made very cheaply from this site. Shipping is 2 business days or less.

Go to www.mcmaster.com to order the following parts:

11" 302 SS extension springs, 1/2" OD, .062"wire (pack of 3)
part #3932K54 ($15)

25 feet GP Clear PVC tubing 1/2"ID, 5/8"OD
part #5233K66 ($7)

100 feet Nylon rope 1/8" diameter
part #3838T711 ($5.50)

I'm using a couple of split rings to connect the springs to the fin hardware but there are several other ways to do this. Obviously, you will have exta tubing and rope left over for future straps (alot left over actually so you might want to go in with some dive buddies on this if possible). I am very happy with the results using these supplies. If you havent done a search for "spring straps" on this board, do so, it will produce a wealth of information. Good luck!

I have been looking for some info on spring straps, and looky here.....just what I was looking for. Thanks guys...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom