Strangers In The Night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We were looking for something different this weekend. We tend to dive the same sites over and over, photographing the same animals. Merry suggested, or more like demanded that we dive in mid water during the pre-dawn hours. I told Kevin Lee her plan and he was willing.

We set out EARLY this morning for a gelatinous critter search. We marveled at how lovely the city lights are in the middle of the night, yet none of us took a picture. The ocean was dead calm except for the sea lions and dolphins cavorting nearby. One pup made a game of dive bombing Merry and Kevin. We heard the squeaks of the dolphins for several minutes during our ascent.

We didn't find anything interesting in mid water so we dropped to the bottom. I found a new octopus nest and Kevin found two Aeolidiella oliviae. I surfaced a few minutes before Kevin and Merry. The floaters showed up after I left the water, so maybe M&K got some great shots.

RedondoNightDive3_zps8fa34eca.jpg

RedondoNightDive2_zps50ee4a37.jpg

RedondoNightDive4_zps58fff55d.jpg

RedondoNightDive6_zps00acd3ca.jpg

RedondoNightDive9_zpsf78e901c.jpg

After sunrise, we headed for Marineland, where reports of good visibility were posted this week. After anchoring, a small Gray whale surfaced less than five feet from our bow. We could see the mottled gray patterns on its back as it cruised just below the surface. Again, nobody took pictures.
We dropped near Ted's Pinnacle. Visibility was a murky fifteen feet despite the calm, flat water. I took pictures of the same animals over and over again. I did find an unidentified worm burying itself in the sand.

RedondoNightDive21_zps736ff076.jpg

RedondoNightDive12_zps2704edec.jpg

RedondoNightDive13_zps5a686a24.jpg

RedondoNightDive18_zpsb9b79bac.jpg

RedondoNightDive16_zpsc5ddf856.jpg

RedondoNightDive22_zpsa98683b9.jpg

RedondoNightDive11_zpse70baa78.jpg

Visibility at Redondo Beach was twenty-five feet. Both sites had 52° water temps. As we approached King Harbor we saw several boats just offshore from Vet's. I thought that there must have been some good fishing near shore, when suddenly a huge whale surfaced in front of us, heading our way. This time, Merry got pictures. :)

Very nice shots!

You know, when you have dived places again and again, eventually you really do see the same animals most of the time. And for me, I'm still trying to get "that" photograph of most of them. I realize that challenge has fallen by the wayside for you guys on most things, but remember that the rest of us marvel at your pictures, even if you aren't terribly excited about them.

The photos you get of the small octos on eggs are amazing to me. In seven years, I have seen many GPOs on eggs, but never a red -- for all I could tell you, they reproduce by parthenogenesis. And that second Aeolid shot is amazing, and I only wish I could come close to that kind of artistry with my camera.

When you are in the water and uninspired by what you see, remember that you have a huge audience who feels quite differently.

Exchanging glances....
Strangers in the night....
What were the chances?
We were sharing love?
Doobie doobie dooooooo

I loved that first shot, with the octopus & eggs. Quite an egg mass compared to the animal.

Richard.

Nice pics, now where are the whale photos? :D

I was excited to see an octo free swimming yesterday. Watched it cling to a rock and change colors a few times.

Superb Octo shots. Great that you were able to capture them with their eyes open.

Eagerly awaiting Merry's series :buggy:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom