Strange VT3 malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really? Seems backward to me. The transmitter has to power the transmitting device, the reciever just has to recieve.

But doesn't the VT3 tell you when the batt level is low (i.e. isnt' this a normal part of it's functioning), and isn't that supposed to be the sign that you need to replace the battery?

I guess it's prudent to replace the batts every few months, and not wait until you get a "low-batt" message or some other mysterious problem.

Randolphscott:
Really? Seems backward to me. The transmitter has to power the transmitting device, the receiver just has to receive.

But doesn't the VT3 tell you when the batt level is low (i.e. isn't' this a normal part of it's functioning), and isn't that supposed to be the sign that you need to replace the battery?

I guess it's prudent to replace the batts every few months, and not wait until you get a "low-batt" message or some other mysterious problem.

The receiver does not just receive it does all the calculations and stays active for a 24 hr period, the transmitter just transmits, at a very low level at that ! and then shuts down when there is no pressure.
It is a good idea to have replacements available, the unit will let you know if the batts need replaced, on the other hand if the batt warning happens during a dive there is to enough power left to finish that dive...:)

Hi egdiver. Not trying to start a post war here, because I don't know what I don't know.

But, I'd still bet it takes more power to run a tank unit that has to transmit a RF signal across 4 feet of salt water for a short time than it does to run a wrist unit that only has to run a chip that does pretty simple time keeping and powers an LCD for 24 hours each time it's turned on.

I'm no expert at this, and I'm probably wrong. But it just doesn't make sense to me. That's why this forum is great; because I can be an idiot, and still have folks that know better help me out!

Thx, and great diving!

hi.

well i took the comp for a shallow dive this evening and there was no problem after the dive. Like i mentioned on my last post, the computer just started working normally again. I checked the battery power for both the unit and the transmitter and they are both good.

This is obviously not a battery issue. Something has gone wrong with the firmware installed. It's also worth noting that the dive that this problem occured after, was the deepest dive i've done with this unit (only to 26 meters) and that the low-alarm went a bit hay-wire, beeping every minute or so. it was also the highest tissue loading (7) dive i've done with this unit.

The fact that i kept trying turning the alarms off during the dive etc may have had an effect. I dont' know. The fact that i'm not hte only one with the problem means oceanic should try to identify this problem and see if they can address it in their next line of firmware/computer developments.

ta.
a.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom