Strange VT3 malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alper

Registered
Reaction score
g'day,

I've bought a VT3 about 4 months ago and until recently it has been working fine. However, it has now started to turn off itself off for about 5-10 seconds every time the backlight button is pressed while on the surface. Is this a common problem?? It is getting really annoying as you could imagine.

Pretty much the only other person i personally know that owns a VT3 is a dive instructor here in Australia, and apparently he's been having the same issue with his for a while and he's going to send it back, and ironically he works at an oceanic dealer. So what do you think the problem is? I'd rather not send it back as i bought mine from the States and I imagine it is going to take some time before I get the computer back.

Has anyone else had this problem?
thanx.

My very first suspicion would be that you might have a weak battery. The additional drain when the back light is utilized might be too much and the computer can't draw what it needs. Even if you don't have a low battery light you might try changing the battery in the computer.

TxHockeyGuy:
My very first suspicion would be that you might have a weak battery

yep that was my first suspicion also. Infact that's how I found out about the instructors VT3 problem.

I asked him if he sold bateries for VT3 and told him what was happening, and he told me it wasn't the battery as he tried replacing his battery and the problem persisted. I've only done about 25 dives with this computer so far.

You are reporting that the unit is turning off for 5 or 10 seconds - is it turning off or is the backlight not working? My best guess without additional information would be a low battery condition - despite what your instructor told you. It is not impossible for a "new" battery to have the same condition. As you're in Australia and concerned about the turn around time for repair or replacement, I would give it a try.

If the condition persists, or the unit is turning completely off, please contact:

Oceanic Australia
phone: 61 3 5984 4770
email: service@OceanicAUS.com.au

Hi,

Doug Krause:
You are reporting that the unit is turning off for 5 or 10 seconds - is it turning off or is the backlight not working?

it is turning completely off, and then turns back off by itself with a single beep. the screen that comes up after it turns on is the screen that it was supposed to be on initially. for example:

if i press the right front button to get to the log screen, and then press the backlight button (to access the info for the last dive), the backlight would go on for a fraction of a second, then the unit will turn off. it will then turn itself on again with a beep and the screen will be the dive info for the last dive (showing max depth/time/etc).

hope this helps clarify.

thanks,
a.

Ever happen during or after a dive?

Randolphscott:
Ever happen during or after a dive?

g'day,

does not happen during dive, as far as i've noticed. happens when you're on the surface. I'm diving again tomorrow morning will try a few buttons etc underwater and see what happens.

meanwhile will also try new battery just incase. and if there's a way to do a total reset, might try that too.

thanks.
a.

...just to add another twist, the computer in question just started to act normal again...i didn't do anything to it since...

strange.

i didn't do a dive since the last malfunction, so maybe it only happens after dives. I couldn't dive today due to weather but should be going this wed night. see if it does it then.

thanx for everybody's help, wish we had such an active forum here down under.
a.

p.s. despite this i still think oceanic stuff are by far the best brand for rec. diving. keep up the good work.

Doug Krause:
You are reporting that the unit is turning off for 5 or 10 seconds - is it turning off or is the backlight not working? My best guess without additional information would be a low battery condition - despite what your instructor told you. It is not impossible for a "new" battery to have the same condition. As you're in Australia and concerned about the turn around time for repair or replacement, I would give it a try.

If the condition persists, or the unit is turning completely off, please contact:

Oceanic Australia
phone: 61 3 5984 4770
email: service@OceanicAUS.com.au

Great info Doug. It is easy to forget that a manufacturer is prone to receiving bad/low new batteries that they install in their products just as an individual would if they purchased just the battery somewhere.

The battery issue is something I had come across myself and informed Doug about. It was agreed that I should purchase a new battery for the VT3, bought for computer and transmitter then finished the season without problems. Just a little tip on wireless computers: when you replace one battery, replace them both. If you have a new battery in the computer, but your transmitter battery is low, you will have extra draw from the computer as it searches for the weakened transmitter signal or repetitive lost signal issues. This is just good preventive maintenance.

The transmitter battery will far out last the receiver battery, fact is the transmitter shuts down when there is no pressure applied, the receiver stays active for 24 hrs. you may not see a display but it is active...

diverdown247:
Just a little tip on wireless computers: when you replace one battery, replace them both. If you have a new battery in the computer, but your transmitter battery is low, you will have extra draw from the computer as it searches for the weakened transmitter signal or repetitive lost signal issues. This is just good preventive maintenance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom