Strange towers at McAbee (video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha, a bunny-only dive video would be great for April 1!

Steve's TLS is in the shop getting dunked in a tub of aquaseal. Turns out he fits in August's Bare pretty well. I'm surprised anyone noticed :)

In talking with Steve, we're actually interested in hearing about whether this site is dived frequently. It's a really fun area, in that there's a lot of structure, and it supersizes everything about the McAbee area (the boulders and rock ledges are about 2-3x larger than what we typically see around McAbee, and the fish seem bigger, too). While access is typically boat-only, it's really easy to get to (we've kayaked to it before from BW, and if you anchor outside the area demarcated by buoys, you can follow the chain like a downline right to the inlet towers). But I could only find one picture, and a couple of dive reports mentioning a dive along the inlet pipes. There's some other info out there (funny, much of it is about the plumbing, "...two 16-inch fiberglass intake pipes. The water is pumped into the facility at a maximum rate of 2,000 gallons per minute. The system consists of two seawater intakes extending 1,000 feet into Monterey Bay..."). I'm just surprised it doesn't show up more often in dive reports or pictures/videos.

That was quite a dive! I enjoyed seeing the harbor seal counting coup on Steve's light. They aren't afraid of much.

Steve looks like he should be doing modeling work for somebody's skills videos . . . but I wonder what you edited OUT of the bag shoot? :D

How ARE you guys doing 130 minutes in 50 degree water? The longest I've managed was 80, and I was COLD.

That was quite a dive! I enjoyed seeing the harbor seal counting coup on Steve's light. They aren't afraid of much.

Steve looks like he should be doing modeling work for somebody's skills videos . . . but I wonder what you edited OUT of the bag shoot? :D

How ARE you guys doing 130 minutes in 50 degree water? The longest I've managed was 80, and I was COLD.

Not having scooters is definitely part of it, although we're usually VERY slow and pokey even on our longer dives (we try to never rush anywhere). I think it's a combination of overinflating the drysuit, and really wanting to stay in the water as long as possible since we don't get to dive with as much frequency as we'd really like (my last Monterey dive was in April, egads!). If I was diving once a week, I'd probably succumb to the cold much faster.

As for any less-than-elegant incidents that may or may not have occurred during the bag shoot, my lips are sealed and the raw footage is locked away forever :)

Bunny lined drysuits

Ah, THAT's what happens to all the shed fur!

My hat is still off to you fellows. Wanting doesn't make it so; I can want to stay in the water as much as I want, but come 60 or so minutes, I still shiver . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom