Strange towers at McAbee (video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday was cool, overcast and calm, which imo is perfect diving weather. Steve and I hit McAbee early, planning to meander North towards the Aquarium. On the way there, we ran into just about everything - rafts of up to a dozen otters, a dive-bombing sea lion and playful harbor seal, a monkey-faced eel, tons of crabs and schools of rockfishes of all sizes...all with some amazing, 30-35ft viz.

It's when we hit Hopkins that things started getting weird. We ran into two huge pipes (very much like the old, encrusted sardine pipes all around McAbee running to the canneries) that had regularly spaced collars with brand new, shiny nuts and bolts fitted to them. Following the pipe led us to two huge cylindrical towers sitting on rocks at the bottom. We figured they were either inlets or outlets for the Aquarium's sea water filter/feeding system, and it was quite amazing seeing these strange, looming structures appear out of the mist.

Once I got home, a quick Google search seemed to confirm the ID, and showed that these are sometimes dived. First I've ever seen or heard of them before though, which made this one of the most exciting dives of the year for me.

[youtubehq]puQPz3KVHfw[/youtubehq]

Last edited:
Youtube blocked your video :crying:

Hopefully fixed, give it another try? If it's still busted, I'll use the AudioSwap feature and make it play some old-timey ragtime music.

It's fixed, just have to wait for the internet to load. =.=*

One of these days you should make a 5 minute video on the bunnies and close it out with a 15 second dive trailer.
I second this thought! :popcorn:

Edit:
Loved the vid!

Did someone break into steve's garage and steal his drysuit?

Back
Top Bottom