Strange sound....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was practicing some breath hold diving in the pool the other day and noticed a short high pitched “whistle-chirp” when I exhaled completely. It sounds a lot like when people’s nose whistle as they breathe out… it’s not from my nose, it sounds like coming from my throat...I had my mask on when I first heard it. It only happens when I breathe out a certain way, it has to be a very shallow, slow, gentle breath almost if I was just moving air in the "dead air space" and it only chirps when I am close to full expiration. It’s only perceptible when it’s really quiet and can't (at least when I listen) be appreciated with auscultation the chest, but can be heard when removing the stethoscope from my ears.

I had a very thorough physical a few month ago (work related) that included chest x-rays, spirometry, lab panel, urinalysis, the works. All tests came negative… I’m in good health.

I have never had an asthma attack nor been diagnosed. I am an ex smoker. I don’t have shortness of breath. I work out 3-5 times a week with no issues. I did have a funky head cold the week before last that has lingered as post nasal drip. I can equalize no problems…

Should I go see a doc before getting back in the water?

Anytime you're bothered by a condition, then you should go to your doctor.

Such squeaks are often associated with obstruction or constriction the smaller air passages; for example, the mucus secretions and inflammatory swelling of asthma and bronchitis. Your history of smoking and recent head cold/nasal drip can produce the same effect. Other disorders are possible but what's encouraging is no mention of the condition worsening, other coincidental problems, and your recent clean physical exam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom