Strange Jelly fish in Japanese waters.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
ginkakurage2.jpg
Yesterday I took my kids to the beach at Hatsu (North Kyushu). When the tide began to come in it brought a lot of these with it - they are about 2 cms across with trailer arms radiating from the blue ring (which you can't see in this picture). I checked it out in my book and it's a 'porpita pacifica' - native to Indonesia and not supposed to be here at all as far as I know. More worrying - it's closely associated with the Portugese Man 'O War (Physalia physalis). I'm going to check out universites tomorrow to see if any marine biology departments know about this. If anyone has seen them elsewhere I be interested to hear it. I've never seen them before and am very curious how they got to Hatsu!!

Porpita's incapable of moving on its own... depends on surface currents. If a bunch washed ashore, they either got there via:

A. A warm patch of local water that promoted growth of the larvae.

B. Surface currents from warmer waters shifting into your area.

I'd go with the second option. More plausible.

Even though it's related to the Man 'o War, the stinging tentacles are much smaller and less dangerous. The thing feeds on zooplankton.

Yup - these things were just drifting - not swimming. I agree with your B. as well. It just seems to be a bit strange though as it's a very long way from it's normal location, and as far as I'm aware it would have had to cross the main current off the southern Japanese coast - which I think is cold! Still it could have piggy-backed the Kuro-Siwo.

Aloha! This paticular jelly, called blue button and according to John Hoover, is fairly common traveling in the open ocean on the surface, occasionally washing ashore during periods of strong winds. It is capable of delivering a very strong sting. Quite beautiful, wish I could have been there to see it. :wink:

reefannie:
Aloha! This paticular jelly, called blue button and according to John Hoover, is fairly common traveling in the open ocean on the surface, occasionally washing ashore during periods of strong winds. It is capable of delivering a very strong sting. Quite beautiful, wish I could have been there to see it. :wink:

Maybe they were dead or something then. I actually picked one up with my bare hands as it was in very shallow protected water with a lot of very young children playing close by. It didn't sting me at all. I agree though...it was very beautiful. There were several more but as it appeared harmless we let the kids stay in the water. No-one got stung! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom