Strange issue with my Tusa Paragon S mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_jaguar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I did a trial of the Paragon S mask and it felt great - no fogging, flooding, etc, so I went ahead and bought one for each of us. Now, I am in Sipadan on a dive trip and my mask has been a constant mess - leaking so much that I have had to clear my mask every minute or so. After 3 days of enduring this, I switched to a buddy's mask and am able to enjoy my dives again. Strange thing is that my wife has no issue with her mask at all, so we swapped our masks on one of the dives and well, it confirmed my suspicion that it wasn't me - the mask was leaking non stop for her too and her mask which I used for that dive was perfect, no issues at all.

The leak happens below the nose (around my lips). I can feel a difference between my mask and my wife's mask when I try it on.

Her mask is white in color is supposedly from an older batch while mine is black and from a newer batch (packaging, etc was different and the retailer confirmed that they were from different batches). Other than that, they are the exact same model. How do I go about letting Tusa know of the issue and what sort of resolution should I expect, if any, at all? Clearly there is an issue with my mask, likely this issue exists with all masks manufactured in that batch, but how do I convince Tusa of this?

Edit: want to add that I am clean shaven, so there should be no issues due to facial hair

First I would send the mask back and scoop up as many better fitting masks as required while I still can

Is there possibly some damage to the mask? Have a closer look, or possibly try to dip it into water face down, such that no water enters from top. Maybe you can spot something there.

Otherwise I would contact the dealer/Tusa directly. Tell you have two masks, and one has this issue the other not - reproducible if two divers switch it.

First I would send the mask back and scoop up as many better fitting masks as required while I still can
I have mailed the retailer - not sure what options he will offer. I was hoping there is a contact in Tusa that I can reach out to for a resolution

Is there possibly some damage to the mask? Have a closer look, or possibly try to dip it into water face down, such that no water enters from top. Maybe you can spot something there.

Otherwise I would contact the dealer/Tusa directly. Tell you have two masks, and one has this issue the other not - reproducible if two divers switch it.
I was trying the sucking test (not sure if I have the name right - the one where you you place the mask on your face without the strap behind the back of your head, and breathe in through your nose to create suction). I am not even able to do that consistently. Even when I manage to do it once in a while, I can hear and feel the air slowly leaking in/out. I am trying to figure out what's going on with the mask.

And yes, I have mailed the dealer, but not sure if they will do much. None of my local dive shops had the mask in stock, so I had to order online. I am trying to get a contact within Tusa, but no luck so far.

Do the opposite of what Sascha suggested. Place the mask nose down so it is level. Two soda cans should work. Slowly fill the inside with water and watch for leaks.

Do the opposite of what Sascha suggested. Place the mask nose down so it is level. Two soda cans should work. Slowly fill the inside with water and watch for leaks.
Thank you for this suggestion - I did this today and I see water dripping from a couple of places where the viewing glass is attached to the mask.

I also tried the suction test and I am not able to maintain suction either.

There is a warranty. Should not be a problem. Talk to your LDS
I couldn't find it at my LDS, so I bought it online - I am trying to get them to help me with this.

I couldn't find it at my LDS, so I bought it online - I am trying to get them to help me with this.

Don't expect your LDS to assist you with an item you bought online.

I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a different mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom