Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

01dinnertime.jpg02next in line for dinner.jpg03intheshade.jpg04herringslurpy.jpg05waiting and watching for improvement.jpg06next your dinner is now served.jpg07MorningBloodWork.jpg08InspectingSkin.jpg09TLC.jpg10Sunrise after a long nite.jpg11PR-rolling.jpg12Bay full of whales & friends.jpg13Youmeet the nicest people.jpg14labelingbloodwork.jpg15Elena and pete.jpg

I arrived back at the MMC around 8:00 and left just after midnight. I was assigned to "Hoss" (#401) and it was my first stressful session. For three of the hours my job was to keep the peduncle (tail) off of the sand and rocks. He was pretty beat up underneath by the stranding. I was put just behind the dorsal and Hoss was in my "lap". No, I wasn't sitting, I had my left knee bent like I was sitting and the other leg was busy trying to keep me balanced. Every time Hoss would breathe or chuff, I bore a large amount of his 1750 pounds. He breathed about every fifteen seconds.

It was determined that trying to horse Hoss like this was wearing out the volunteers, so they decided to put him on a floating mat. As they depressed the mat under Hoss, I had to lift the tail out of the water and PUSH. After about 25 attempts and adjustments, we had him where we wanted him. I was so exhausted that I could no longer stand. To say the least, I am quite sore and heading to bed.

I would love to help, but I'm in New Orleans. I went to the website to make a donation, but the donation pages are blank (no instructions on how to donate).

I am saddened to report that #401 the only male, aka Hoss, had to be euthanized this morning. His injuries and illness were insurmountable.

However, the four ladies are holding their own and/or improving slowly.

hey mselenaous thanks for the awesome pics!!! I just woke up from my shift and 401 wasnt doing too good when I had got out the water. About 10 min later they said he started bucking like crazy and they had the whole team in the water on him trying to keep him calm. Thats sad to hear that they had to let him go but hopefully it didnt bother the others recovery.

401 was named meteorite last thurs night, by members of the FKCC scuba club. That first night was clear with almost no moon. There was alot of shooting stars that night, and that is what inspired his name. Rest In Peace

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom