Stranded divers 'lucky to be alive'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
I'll be diving in that part of the world in October. This is what I'll be taking, and I expect it will be more than sufficient.

10W HID (apart from the obvious regular use, night signalling)
Princeton-tec strobe
Starflash mirror
Storm whistle
3' oral-inflated yellow SMB (has my whistle ziptied to it)
5' regulator-inflated orange DSMB
Rescue Streamer

My wife carries most of the same items. Thinking of some items like the rescue streamer, mirror & strobe into an "oh-sh!t" pocket on a camband, as these are the items least likely to be used, and I want them on me but out of the way. Might add a buddy leash to that pocket too. The 3' SMB/whistle is always clipped off on my SPG D-ring every dive anyway for quick deployment (have only had to use it once, but when you want it, you want it in a hurry!), and the 5' SMB has it's own pocket on the backplate. Might add a dive-alert.
Definitely add the DiveAlert. It's your best chance of waking up the sleeping deck watch if you surface downcurrent early before they are waching as closely.

What I still don't get is, why in the heck are we not doing roll calls? Really simple solution... Just have everyone sign in when they get on the boat & do a roll call before pulling anchor.

Christine Thompson:
What I still don't get is, why in the heck are we not doing roll calls? Really simple solution... Just have everyone sign in when they get on the boat & do a roll call before pulling anchor.
Uh, hello, read the thread - this was not about a missed roll call. A roll call was done and IDENTIFIED the fact two divers were missing. The incident was a result of two divers being swept away from the boat in strong current.

almitywife:
Ben, what about the snaplock bag of chocolate, blow-up pool chair, thermas of tequila, emergency beacon and tv remote (so you know that someone at home will be looking for you sooner rather than later).

so this trip is why you're skipping out on Doucap.

Have that thermos mixed for margaritas.

Smoke and flares work well.

for those that want some light reading... our standard for qld diving:
http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/workplace/law/codes/divingcompressed/recdiving/measures/supervision/

this appendix is suggested log also: http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/workplace/law/codes/divingcompressed/appendix2/

from personal experience. 2 differnt dive operators in qld.
Operator 1 gave each diver a tag that was recorded being issued and returned after every dive with signature and dive info - no way around the rule.

Operator 2 was a joke. when someone on the boat suffered a back injury-they couldnt be bothered to bring them all the way in but literally dumped them out of the boat about 25mtrs away from shore for the diver to swim back (barely and thru surf and surge) and walk back to dive shop. only because i carried on about their lack of safety (i exited boat with the injured diver) did they arrange medical help.

we recommed operator 1 always, operator 2 went out of business thankfully

almitywife:
Ben, what about the snaplock bag of chocolate, blow-up pool chair, thermas of tequila, emergency beacon and tv remote (so you know that someone at home will be looking for you sooner rather than later).

so this trip is why you're skipping out on Doucap.
Hey, there's room in the pocket yet for a bottle of water :D The only items in the pocket are the strobe, mirror, rescue streamer and the buddy leash when I make one up. The pocket feels near empty - it's a narrow pocket, totally out of the way on the camband (well at least on the loungeroom floor), and is by no means full. I would imagine it will result in a few dirty looks if I explain what it's for to a crew member!

The rest of the items are part of my normal diving kit, so it's a minor out-of-the-way addition.

Yes, this is the trip I'll be on just before DOUCAP.

Chocolate or sweeties - Hmm - actually not a bad idea. Always have boiled sweets on board for sugar rush, and everyone likes to offer them after a dive.

But if you get stuck in the water waiting for pick up - even a few minutes you can feel cold and tired - like the idea of that.

Now how do I pack a banana and peanut butter sandwich - my favourite.

Joking aside - we do drift dives - and anyone who doesn't have a sausage and a whistle/dive alert at minimum just isn't safe to have around. Hence in another thread I asked about colour of sausage - latest "word" is that black is good for daytime - but can anyone confirm that? I have actually seen red showing up amazingly well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom