Stranded diver says no to aerial rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexRodriguez:
What a moron, I can understand but its either heights or drifting away in the water.

Alex

Why would he drift away? He was on the rock and the boat (police launch) was not the boat in trouble.

I think all those that said the guy was an idiot are idiots for commenting on his decision without knowing the full story.

I know personally one of the guys on this dive (The buddy-not the guy who refused the ride(he sometimes assist me with courses)) and there was no need to send the helo in.

They were diving off the back of the Island in Island Bay (Where I live) and the boat broke down whilst the divers were down. Boats dont generally anchor in Wellington/Cook Strait because we do have some pretty gnarly currents, and the skipper of the boat couldnt go pick up the divers so called for assistance over the VHF so someone could pick the divers up and give the boat a tow back to shore.

The diver climbed onto the rocks so he could be on higher ground to see where the boat was (Because they had no idea why it didnt come to pick them up) and upon seeing a helo hover over him responded by giving a big OK signal. The helo decided to winch a guy down to take him up and he told him he was OK and it was only a 3 minute snorkel back to the mainland. It is less than 100 metres from the island back to shore.

It was the boat that needed a tow and both the divers were fine. They both swam back to the boat to get a tow in with their mates. No drama.

Yes the

phobias...you don't have one? don't judge...couple weeks ago this lady calls 911. her lungs are filling up with fluid. upon arrival I could here how bad it was without using my stethoscope. she REALLY wanted to go to the hospital. but she just couldn't fathom the will to get into the back of the ambulance. 40 minutes on scene and she finally gets in but only when allowed to sit in the front passenger seat with window open...she knew she could stop breathing at any moment but her phobia of enclosed spaces was too much...don't call her an idiot...

Helocopter Ride $10,000.00
Boat Ride $50.00
Having people call you an idiot on Scuba Board PRICELESS

84CJ7:
No I think idiot fits, its a characteristic of a weak mind to not be able to push your fears aside and just do something that needs to be done.

Being afraid is not a problem, being unable to act because of it is.

I think that before you catagorise, and psychoanalyze this person you should look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you are capable of doing just that.........Don't judge other people by your standards. You run the risk of being judged yourself........

Phobias are tough to conquer. I can understand this fella's apprehension. Until I was twelve years old, I was terrified of the water. Anytime I couldn't touch the bottom, I would panic. When I was 7 or 8, I beat the crap out of many a swim instructor. I couldn't help it... I truly felt like I would die if I couldn't touch the bottom. On the last day of swimming lessons, we were going to go in the deep end. My mom was taking me to the pool and I began having a complete meltdown. I was begging her not to take me to the pool. I felt like I was literally fighting for my life. She finally relented, in disgust. With anything else, I was braver than any of my friends and I'd take on any challenge without a second thought, but phew... I couldn't keep myself from full-on panic when the water was over my head.

When I was 12, I learned how to waterski. That was different because I was out in the middle of the lake, but bobbing around wearing a ski vest. After that... Shoot... I became a total fish. Nothing could keep me out of the water. I body surfed in Japan, did endurance swims and became a lifeguard while in the Army, snorkeled all over the place, and now, scuba. :)

I agree, if he was in grave danger he should have stepped up and done what had to be done. It sounds to me like he was in no danger and in no need of rescue. Afraid of heights or not, why should he have to take a rescue he neither needed or wanted? If you get a headache and some overzealous intern wants to treat you for a brain tumor before finding out if you need that treatment do you just let him? :shades:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom