Straits diving end of June - looking for info/buddy/boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greatlakeswreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Family trip up to the Straits starting June 29th - July 2nd. Hoping to get a dive or two in when I am up there. Anybody up to dive during that time? Not looking for anything too complicated. Still getting use to my drysuit. Would just like to see some wrecks up that way.

Also going to be at Wells State Park for the 4th if there is any diving in that area I would be up to get wet.

Call Larry at Straits Scuba and see if they have any trips during the week. Most of the time they only run weekends and a lot those trips are run thru different dive shops.

But give it a try. Straits Scuba

Their number is: 810-240-4320

Family trip up to the Straits starting June 29th - July 2nd. Hoping to get a dive or two in when I am up there. Anybody up to dive during that time? Not looking for anything too complicated. Still getting use to my drysuit. Would just like to see some wrecks up that way.

Also going to be at Wells State Park for the 4th if there is any diving in that area I would be up to get wet.

I will give Straits Scuba a call and check it out. Thanks for the info.

I am not sure the town Wells State Park is in... It is half way between Menominee and Escanaba in the U.P. We are using that as a half way point to the Straits instead of trying to make the trip all in a day.

From Wells State Park, on the west side of the pennisula, is Fayette. Diving is allowed there only at certain times of day. Once in the morning and another in the afternoon if I remember. The "slag beach" can be dove at anytime. As it is a State Historical park make sure you educate yourself to the regulations.

We took zodiak's from Fairport out to the ER Williams, just north of St. Martin Is. The Williams was written up my Chris Kohl in an issue of Scuba Diving as being one of 10 Premier Great Lakes Recreational dives, I concur.

Stay on the highways inland. Apparently they grow some crops up there that are seriously gaurded.

I grew up about an hour west of Wells State Park and pretty familiar with the highways but now that I have gotten into scuba, I want to get familiar with the waterways.

The "Griffin" was claimed to have been found off of Poverty Is.

There has been a hubub ongoing for 4 years now I think and still nothing proven.

I agree with computerjoe, the E.R. Williams is an excellent dive. Also Fayette park is pretty interesting for a surface interval, or if you have some spare time.

Shot an email off to Straits Scuba last week and still nothing. May just be out of luck trying to dive mid-week. Probably scrap the idea of diving on this trip and plan something with the LDS to get in on wreck diving in Door Co. or some others. Will have to save Straits diving for a weekend I am up there.

Frank, from Great Lakes Dive Charters out of Alpena, trailers his boat up to Mackinaw during the Summer. Give him a call to see when he will be up that way. Here is his contact information.

Great Lakes Dive Charters
Charters out of Alpena and Mackinaw, boat is also equipped with a gear lift for easy post dive access to the boat
Group Size: 4-12
Phone: (614)-581-9196
Website under construction

or you could come on down to Alpena and dive the area wrecks :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom