Stowing SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I've got a carter SMB or PFD 75. It rolls up to be fairly large. Just wondering if anyone could advise on the best place and how to stow it. I was thinking bungee's looped through the BP? I've got a DSS plate.

Cheers

Alex

If it cannot fit in your thigh pocket, I would get a backplate pocket (like a Halcyon MC Storage Pak or an OMS BCA-BPP Back Pad, or similar) and stow the SMB there.

Vie:
If it cannot fit in your thigh pocket, I would get a backplate pocket (like a Halcyon MC Storage Pak or an OMS BCA-BPP Back Pad, or similar) and stow the SMB there.
Yep, the upside is that this is the correct (DIR) way of doing it. The downside is that the SMB is absolutely impossible to remove from the pocket once you have all your equipment on - but it does at least dig into your back to remind you its there.

As you may have guessed, I find this one of the less sensible choices of the DIR crowd.:D

Hmmm,

Thigh pocket so far seems like the best way to go. Can't imagine trying to stuff the thing into a storage pack. I was thinking about getting some bungie's and fixing it that way but I think that would be prone to coming off.

Any other thoughts??

BarryNL:
\The downside is that the SMB is absolutely impossible to remove from the pocket once you have all your equipment on - but it does at least dig into your back to remind you its there.

Hmm... I myself have never had this problem.

Vie:
Hmm... I myself have never had this problem.
I don't know if your picture is accurate for your diving, but it may be the reason - you seem to be in a thin wetsuit with bare hands.

I've tried using the DSMB the DIR way in the pool and it works fine, but put on a drysuit and 5mm gloves and you can forget it.

In fact, my tech diving instructor won't allow students to stow their DSMBs in this way during his courses because of the problems if you can't deploy it.

After diving a specific way for many years (20+), I was introduced to the GUE / DIR way of diving. There were a lot of things that were different. I never had to clip my primary reg whenever it was not being used, I never had to unclip my SPG to read it and have to reclip it back. Just some examples of things I had to practice.

Having to deploy a SMB (Halcyon 6') from my backplate pocket was another strange skill that took practice. Most of us carry our smb's in that pocket. We all dive with Drysuits. We all practice deploying the SMB's /liftbags early in the season to get that muscle memory thing reviewed well. Some of my buddies carry their smb's in their left pocket ( DUI Large Bellows zippered pocket).

When I took the DIR-F class, I was a basket case with most of the skills. After commiting to the whole DIR concept of diving, I realized I had to practice the skills to keep sharp. It took me a year to get good enough to kick backward with my drysuit. I could nail that skill with a wetsuit (3mm) on every time, but in a drysuit it was different.

Wherever you decide to put your SMB/liftbag. You will need to practice deploying it from that location. If you use the backplate pocket is to be used to stow the smb, make sure you set it up correctly. When you clip the smb to the butt d ring you have to make sure it will deploy without wrapping around your crotch strap. This happened to me when I decided to pull the SMB with my right hand instead of my left.

Good luck,
Jim

alexxred:
I was thinking about getting some bungie's and fixing it that way but I think that would be prone to coming off.
That's the way I do it, it's rock solid.

There are several ways it can be done but the way I was told in DIR-F was any way that leaves your profile clean. If it dangles or can get caught on something, it's not DIR. If it doesn't and can't, then it's DIR as long as you don't have a problem deploying it.

Personally, I've neve had any problem with the SMB stowed in the BP pocket and I do use a drysuit and gloves, even the dry type with thick insulation. Part of the dirlls we regularly do is to deploy the buoy in less then a minute, and we usally are able to extract it fairly quickly (while tying the rope with gloves may be much more frustrating ...).
I usually leave a very small part of the buoy out of the pocket to help me finding it.

If your SMB is unconfortable there, you could use two elastic rubber bands or similar and place it transeversally at the bottom of the backplate. Your SMB will be very easy to access while rimaining streamlined beneath the bottles. And if you choose the right diameter for each bungee it is not possible to lose it.

But do note that this solution is non-DIR as it interferes with the back d-ring on the butt and also with the rear valve of the wing in a single configuration ...

HTH

Halthron:
That's the way I do it, it's rock solid.

There are several ways it can be done but the way I was told in DIR-F was any way that leaves your profile clean. If it dangles or can get caught on something, it's not DIR. If it doesn't and can't, then it's DIR as long as you don't have a problem deploying it.

I do it that way as well. I use two holes on the bottom right corner edge of the plate, and two more in about 3" towards the center from the other two. I then tied loops of 1/4" bungee in these holes and it holds the SMB very secure. I've had it in some pretty rough water and in 3 knot currents and it has never budged. It is fairly easy to deploy but not so easy to stow after a drill. I figure if needed in an emergency, I won't be worried about stowing it anyway and if needed, I get my buddy to help me stow it after a drill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom