Stowing a (compact) camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwl

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
does anyone have suggestions (and preferably pictures) of how to optimally stow/manage a compact camera?

most DIR-related camera management i've seen has revolved around relatively large equipment: video cameras, SLR's with external strobes, etc.

all i have is a compact & no external strobe, but i'd rather not just be holding on to it with my hands the whole time.

any ideas?

If it is just something you want to carry along and use occassionally, best choice is clipped into a pocket if it will fit. For most camera dives that is the focus of the dive and you will be carrying it most of the time. With no stages, you have plenty of options for temporary storage since most of the small cameras float. You can clip it to yor left chest d-ring and it will float up under your arm. You can also clip it to your left hip d-ring and it will hang right there. With stages, a small d-ring on your cannister light can also be used. That is where we store strobes for long trips. I don't carry the camera on these dives and haven't paid attention to where it gets towed since the dome needs to be protected.

The little plastic housed ones generally float. With a botlsnap tied on I've never had a problem clipping them off to a chest d-ring. Remove any lanyards, those just get in the way or tangle in other gear.

As an aside, my compact sinks, which is annoying in its own way.

I attach a boltsnap to the housing with with a slightly longer cave line tie (~3in). 99% of the time, I have it clipped off to my BT and watch bungees. This lets it not dangle very much when I'm not using it, and allows me to hold/shoot without unclipping. If I really need it out of the way I clip it off to one of the chest d-rings, where it hangs down about the same distance as a lighthead clipped off with a double-ender.

thanks folks. pockets aren't an option at the moment, unfortunately :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom