• Welcome to ScubaBoard


  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Storms and Diving...Should I Go or Should I Cancel?

Discussion in 'Storm Watch' started by Capt Gary, Aug 29, 2008.

  1. Capt Gary

    Capt Gary Dive Shop

    # of Dives:
    Location: Tavernier, Florida Keys
    1,242
    239
    63
    Hey All,

    With a few storm around us I wanted to give you my thoughts on whether or not you should come dive in a area that has storms brewing.

    First the news always takes the sensationalism journalism approach to any news story. The bigger the hype the bigger the story the better for them. So you can't always trust them to have facts correct. It's better to gather all the information you can and make you own informed decision. There are a lot of resources on the internet that can be tapped into for weather related information, but information like computer models can sometimes be misleading. Stick to the discussion issued by the hurricane center. They are updated every 6 hours and contain the most accurate information about the storm and a good source to help make your decision.

    Part of that decision making process should also include a call to your destination dive shop to see what their opinion is on the storms and if they are diving or not. They are keeping an eye on any approaching storm and will give you a better opinion on what to expect in the area than you're news source. Safety is number one with most dive shops and they are not going to jeopardize your safety for the sake of a few dollars. If that's the case then you need to find a different dive shop.

    You should also see what the cancellation policy of the following:
    A. Dive Shop
    B. Lodging Facility
    C. Airline being used
    D. Car rental company

    Most of these companies have cancellation policies in place and can be found on their website. Research them for information, but there are a few questions you need to ask.
    1. How far in advance do I need to cancel in order to not be charged.
    2. If I wait past the cancellation date and a storm comes will I be charged.
    3. Ask them if you do came and you have to leave if they will give you credit for future stays.
    4. See what is their policy about refunds or credit if a mandatory evacuation is issued from the local government area you are visiting.

    I know it's frustrating trying to get the right information to make an intelligent decision, but by asking the right questions and tapping into the right sources you can come to an intelligent decision on whether or not you should cancel your diving trip.

    Hope this helps and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

    Good Diving,
     
  2. RonFrank

    RonFrank Solo Diver

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Conifer, CO
    9,106
    344
    0
    Hey Gary,

    Good to hear from you! I'm on the road, sitting in a hotel about to head to the Blue Hole for a couple of more dives before I head back north. I'll talk to you about the sticky tomorrow!

    Good Diving!
     
  3. Johnoly

    Johnoly ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Location:
    2,477
    2,105
    113
    My own policy is very simple.

    If the boat's going out, so am I !!

    WE DON'T CANCEL ON OUR CAPTAINS!!!!
     
  4. moregooder

    moregooder Nassau Grouper

    91
    1
    0
    A bad day in st lucia after a hurricane is better then a cold day in Nebraska.
     

Share This Page