Storing a Scuba Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The insurance included is currently capped at $50: Priority Mail | USPS

And the problem with that, in my situation, was that I had 5 of these weights in the box. 4 of them made it, and one was lost:

Tin Man Pinch Weights | MAKO Spearguns

I had also hand-dipped the weights in plasti-dip.

USPS policy, I was told, was that I would have to surrender the box and the 4 weights that made it and then the USPS would give my $50. That put me in the red by the time I bought 5 new weights and a can of plasti-dip.

Gotcha. That sucks. About a year ago I shipped 2x2lb weights (the black-coated SeaPearls) to the buddy I accidentally stole them from.

Edited to add: They both disappeared, USPS insurance covered the replacement. Your situation is obviously different, and that sucks. I'll have to be more careful next time and use a bunch of expensive tape. Might even borrow some fiberglass tape from work.

Last edited:
If one is going to store a SCUBA cylinder for any long length of time it is advisable to store the tank upright. This minimized the area of the inner walls that may be exposed to any moisture in the tank. With the tank on its side, there is increased surface that can oxidize/corrode.

-Z

Howdy,

This summer my parents have decided that I am flying home instead of them having to drive all the way from Chicago to College Station, Texas and back (~2000 miles roundtrip). I own all my gear, and I will be flying it home (I'm planning on wearing my weight belt on the flight instead of putting it in my backpack or trying to use up my available weight limit for luggage). I know that having a scuba tank on a flight is an enormous hassle. Because I am flying, I do have a climate controlled storage unit for the summer. What are my options? How would I go about having my tank be complainant with TSA requirements and if I store it for the summer, what considerations do I need?

Where in Chicago area, if you are up North at all, I will be glad to let you use a spare 100 HP steel and all the weight you need. I am in Antioch IL. would be glad to help out if needed. All I ask is I get them back when your done.

Where in Chicago area, if you are up North at all, I will be glad to let you use a spare 100 HP steel and all the weight you need. I am in Antioch IL. would be glad to help out if needed. All I ask is I get them back when your done.
I managed to fly my weights no problem! (they are soft weights, they fit in my backpack easily, and the airlines don't care about the weight of your personal items...my back loved the extra weight...and as for a tank, I am doing quite a few dives with my instructor and helping her with her snorkel splash classes, so she said she would let me use her tanks!! Thanks for the offer though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom