Storing a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dead dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What is the best way to store a two hose regulator for a long ( years ) time, with out melting the hoses and duck bill ?
What is the best revival of the same regulators. ? Or would it be better to take these regulators apart before storage ?

I would take the hoses and duckbill off. Store the hoses so that there is no hard bends in a cool and dry place. If the hoses are vintage rubber, also try to keep them in a dark container.
The same thing for the duckbill if it is not silicone. Some divers used to keep the old duckbills in the refrigerator or in a plastic bag with talcum powder. With new silicone duckbills is not as critical.

Also store the regulator in a cool and dry place. Put it in a container to try to keep dust and insects from getting into it. Make sure the dust cap is in place.

Before you go to use it, open the can and make sure it is clean inside the can. After inspecting it, put it on a tank and test the IP and check for leaks. Check how it is performing.

You can check for leaks by pressurizing the regulator and closing the tank valve. Let it sit for a while. When you come back you can check if the pressure have drop by opening the valve and seen if the pressure change. This assumes you had a pressure gauge in the kit, either attached to the regulator or on a banjo fitting.

In the regulator section there is a check list on how to check regulator. Most of it applies to DH regulators as well as single hose regulators.

I personally like a box that can breathe as compared to a sealable plastic type container. Provided you can find a box of proper size, of course.

During the off season or for regulators that I do not dive, I take them apart. The new silicone parts and DBRV are less critical and can probably be left installed, just slack off on the clamps. But, put a tag or note on it to remind you to tighten the clamps before diving it lest you have it come apart on you.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom