Store pressurized tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Is it ok to store pressurized tanks for a few weeks? I have steel LP tanks, filled to 3400 PSI (no, this is not supposed to become yet another debate about whether overfilling is ok or not), and wanted to go dive today. But the trip has been canceled, so should I de-pressurize the tanks (to 500 PSI or so), and then have them filled again in 2-3 weeks when I go diving again? Or do you think it's ok to store them pressurized?

I keep them full. If I were planning on not using them for several months or more I'd reduce pressure, but a few weeks is nothing. Going tomorrow, the tanks were filled on our last dive on 02 July. When we get off the water they'll be filled again on the way home.

SouthEastFloridaDiver:
Is it ok to store pressurized tanks for a few weeks? I have steel LP tanks, filled to 3400 PSI (no, this is not supposed to become yet another debate about whether overfilling is ok or not), and wanted to go dive today. But the trip has been canceled, so should I de-pressurize the tanks (to 500 PSI or so), and then have them filled again in 2-3 weeks when I go diving again? Or do you think it's ok to store them pressurized?

Aluminum cylinders should be stored upright, secured, either full or really close to empty--less than 50 psi. Full cylinders, if in a fire, allow the OPD--burst disk--to do its job. Nearly empty cylinders will not present an explosive hazard in a localized fire.

Steel cylinders should be stored upright, secured, and really close to empty--less than 50 psi. Increased partial pressure of O2 will accelerate corrosion if present and can reduce O2 content to as low as 3%. So...that is why we store steel nearly empty.

While a LDS may require a visual cylinder inspection prior to filling a cylinder after a long storage period and because it is nearly empty, it is probably time for a proper inspection.

Hope this helps.

Chris

SouthEastFloridaDiver:
Is it ok to store pressurized tanks for a few weeks?
I never intend to... but weather and other delays often mean I do. Never had any problem with it.
Rick

COVCI:
Steel cylinders should be stored upright, secured, and really close to empty--less than 50 psi. Increased partial pressure of O2 will accelerate corrosion if present and can reduce O2 content to as low as 3%. So...that is why we store steel nearly empty.

Thanks for the info. Does the above apply already if the cylinder is stored for only 2-3 weeks?

SouthEastFloridaDiver:
Thanks for the info. Does the above apply already if the cylinder is stored for only 2-3 weeks?

Cylinders stored for a couple of weeks to a couple of months are normally not an issue. I often have cylinders with the same fill for 4-5 months before use.

Hope this helps.

Chris

yeah, mine have sat for a month now, and will be used next weekend..no fears here...

ona side note, i can't wait to empty them..:wink:

For what it’s worth, I accidentally stored a steel 72 lying down and full for 13 years in a barn that baked during the summer and froze during the winter. I emptied it before transporting it to the shop where it passed a hydro and I went on using it for another 10 years.

COVCI:
Aluminum cylinders should be stored upright, secured, either full or really close to empty--less than 50 psi. Full cylinders, if in a fire, allow the OPD--burst disk--to do its job. Nearly empty cylinders will not present an explosive hazard in a localized fire.

Chris

Whats the reasoning for storing an alum tank upright? I've always stored tanks laying down and blocked to prevent rolling. Thats for all gas cylinders (scuba and industrial cylinders), unless I have a tank rack available to secure them. I always lay them down so they don't get knocked over and go flying if the head gets knocked off.

jrs_diesel:
Whats the reasoning for storing an alum tank upright? I've always stored tanks laying down and blocked to prevent rolling. Thats for all gas cylinders (scuba and industrial cylinders), unless I have a tank rack available to secure them. I always lay them down so they don't get knocked over and go flying if the head gets knocked off.

You answered your own question. I think the previous post should read "upright and secured." If they are up right and secure then they aren't going to be rockets.

I need to set up my garage for the new arrival of two tanks and they will be stored upright and secured. If nothing else, upright takes up less floor space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom