Store bought vrs home made.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buds and I just returned from our now annual trip to the caves of Mexico. My new and now for sale Hollis SMS 100 preformed well in dry suit configuration this summer in our cold Canadian lakes, lots of lift seems trim and fits well. It looks cool but just too many buckles and straps. The trans pack, nomad and armadillo all suffer from the same over the counter sickness. I guess I’m back to a Razor style harness with separate lift, the kind we used in the 60s and 70s. It seems every time a BC is built to do lots of things it will not do any one thing well. I guess once again I learn that less is more.

I like the idea of the Razor too, very much like a one-piece Hog harness. The Hollis wing will fit onto the Razor, but I haven't had a chance to actually try it out in the water yet. Might be worth a look before you sell your SMS100. More info here.

I think the new UTD system is going to be the answer for a lot of that. I love my Nomad for the cold water, drysuit, heavy steel stuff, but when I dive it in my 5mm it seems really bulky and I'm a BIG dude, so it shouldn't... I build a DIY razor and have monkeyed around with it in the pool with a couple of AL80's, but the UTD harness with a couple of LP85's may be the answer I've been looking for with my 5mm...

I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle with no one rig perfectly fitting all diving styles/environments.

I have the Hollis SMS100, which I bought for doing Tech Deep and Wreck (as opposed to traditional backmounted doubles)....my general all-around sidemount rig. It serves its purpose well and I am please with its performance at depth and under heavy burden. As you know the "clutter" (snaps, straps, buckles and d-rings) that characterize the Hollis and Nomad suddenly become unobtrusive when donning +3 tanks. Real estate gets expensive and rare when there are 6 tanks strapped on.

However, there are times when I will only have 2 tanks and no more, and for these dives less is more. I have been contemplating adding the Razor or similar harness for light duty and spearfishing the GOM oil rigs. My holdback is that at present the Razor doesn't have enough lift for blue water diving. From what I have read Bogaert is revising the bladder for the Razor with the new product due out this Spring. I can't find any references or responses to exactly what this modification may entail...

Hopefully, the new bouyance device for the Razor gives it some additional optionality beyond caves. If not then I will most likely consider either another harness system or simply sandwich a Hollis 25lb wing underneath the harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom