Stop the sweat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWaters

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, here's a quick question...

How do you guys stop from sweating when it's hot out? I sweated like mad before my last dive in my dry suit, and got a bit cold as a result. My wollies were damp all-over when I got out.

Any tips or tricks? I don't know if I could make it out to flag 3 or 4 on the breakwater without bathing in my own moisture.

Also, why the hell do they make dry suits black? What the hell are they thinking?

- ChillyWaters

Make sure that absolutely everything is set-up, organized and ready to go for both you and your buddy prior to donning your exposure protection. THe less time in it, the less time to sweat in it. Also, maybe avoid dives with big hikes on the sunnier days.

Otherwise... I wish I knew, this time of year I'm usually pretty sweaty before getting in the water.

What about using an umbrella? I mean you'd look like a dork, but it'd at least keep the sun off :)

What are you wearing under the insulation?

Leave you hood off for as long as you can. When you have to put it on dunk it in cold water first.

SeanQ:
What are you wearing under the insulation?

Leave you hood off for as long as you can. When you have to put it on dunk it in cold water first.

Good calls on the shade and on the hood dunk. Though shade isn't always readily available -- especially if you park along the road at the breakwater. I still wish they would make light-coloured dry suits. Wouldn't that make life easier?!

I am wearing my White's MK2 john. It's a full-body fleece (not sure how thick). I'm wondering if I was a bit cold due to the wetness of the sweat, or the lack of undergarments. I wasn't really cold, but could've been warmer. Sure beats the wetsuit.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
I am wearing my White's MK2 john.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but...

Since the White's undergarments are supposed to be a configurable "system," then wouldn't it be nice if they would publish the buoyancy of the items.

If I add the MK2 jacket, how much more weight would I need? If I were to drop the MK2 john and drop to just the mk2 jacket, or the MK1 shirt and MK2 john, how would I have to adjust my weight?

It seems that it would be so easy for them to determine and publish such information, and make life easier for me. Okay, enough whining for today. I'll stop.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Okay, here's a quick question...

How do you guys stop from sweating when it's hot out? I sweated like mad before my last dive in my dry suit, and got a bit cold as a result. My wollies were damp all-over when I got out.

Any tips or tricks? I don't know if I could make it out to flag 3 or 4 on the breakwater without bathing in my own moisture.

Also, why the hell do they make dry suits black? What the hell are they thinking?

- ChillyWaters
I used to walk out to the end of the breakwater every weekend for a couple of years. Now I only do it every couple of months (getting old). After several near-death experiences (hallucinations give you something to do on the hike), I now hose off my head with cold water from the tap behind the dive shop before walking out. It makes a huge difference. I even do this in the winter.

it helps me to get into the suit next to the water, then take a dip with no
hood. this cools me off a great deal.

then get geared up (everything's set up already) and go diving

minimizes my time in the sun

Good ideas...

As for the undergarment, I might wear one of my winter running shirts -- light, but very warm, and VERY good at wicking my sweat away. I've just been wearing coolmax so far.

And the head dunk is a great idea.

So, for the breakwater we should dress in the shade of the building, dunk our head under the tap, then make the trek. Sounds good. No more cheaping out and parking on the road then. I guess it's a $1 well spent. But for the unemployed like me, that could buy me a loaf a bread. Mmmmm... bread.

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom